NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alt EQ6 really bad guide performance

Astronome

I cannot get my new Alt eq6 to guide well enough to stop every puff of wind creating a non roun star.  My original Eq6 pro was much better.  Really unhappy with this mount. Seems like the two rubber bands cannot cope.  I have a lot hanging on the back..focus, filters, trius h694 , cables.   The old Eq6 coped with this fine bur not the new one.

And...what about the huge backlash in dec right out of the box!

Must say I am really unhappy after having spent  a fortune on building a new observatory and supporting steel tower.  (No the tower does not move! It took 4 people to lift it!)

Anyone had this sort of experience?

John

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your problems...  Are you using the mount in EQ or AZ mode? either way, the first thing I would check is for balance and then ensure the clutches are engaging securely.

Are you driving the mount via the handset or directly from a PC, especially if you are using PHD2, then clear all the old calibration data (i.e. delete the ini files)

Ok, The mount is running in EQ moide, Using Astroart6 to guide.  Clutches are fine. Lots of backlash in DEC. Being driven from AA6 via Hitecastro interface and EQMOD.

I have had a real struggle to get the mount aligned due to position on top of a 3meter tower (due to obstructions)  The tower is huge 320mm tube on a 500mm square 10mm thick base bolted to conrete. Tested movement and even leaning on it does not move a star in the focus frame.

Balance is far from perfect due to cables and large back weight of equipment. But the same as I originally had on my EQ6 Pro for quite a few years. Scope is an 8inch RC with sep Orion Guide scope and camera.  This is different as I had a Lodestar on a WO 50mm on the EQ6 Pro.

My software reports an AZ error of 1.36 degrees after all my polar alignment.  But really tricky trying to align using a webcam on the polar scope on top of tower..  Maybe could try a different alignment method like drift.

However, did not have this problem with the old EQ6 even a degree out.

Thanks for your reply..  Just the height and having to climb a ladder to do any adjustment has been a problem.

scopeLR.jpg

Are you using the polar scope to align or the handset polar alignment routine.

I've had the best luck with the handset polar alignment routine. 

You may want to try reducing the DEC backlash as well.

If you have lots of backlash in Dec, look no further, surely? You need to tune that out or ask your dealer to do so. Wind will easily blow the OTA back and forth acrossbacklash. It isn't easy to use imbalance to fix Dec backlash because the position of an imbalancing weight needs to vary with the scope's position but the standard trick is to guide only in one direction in Dec. Disabling one Dec direction is easy in AstroArt. It's in the window which shows you the guide star.

There is no reason in principle why the short belt drives should be the cause. They are used in 10 Microns, for instance.

Olly

I am spectacularly happy with my AZ EQ6 GT.  There was a bit of backlash in both axes out of the box but just use the small allen screw worm float adjusters to adjust it out.  Takes about 10 minutes.  It is the same adjustment principle as your old EQ6.

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 17:25, kendg said:

Are you using the polar scope to align or the handset polar alignment routine.

I've had the best luck with the handset polar alignment routine. 

You may want to try reducing the DEC backlash as well.

Ok I could connect the handset on a temporary basis.  Is there a routine to adjust the Az and Alt bolts?

On 8/15/2016 at 10:13, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your problems...  Are you using the mount in EQ or AZ mode? either way, the first thing I would check is for balance and then ensure the clutches are engaging securely.

Are you driving the mount via the handset or directly from a PC, especially if you are using PHD2, then clear all the old calibration data (i.e. delete the ini files)

Well picked a zero wind day and still had issues with guiding.  EQ mode with Hitec interface from EQMOD.  The mount seems to guide for a while then will move or stop moving in RA for a short period.  Then the guide star will reappear moving back into position.  Tried all sorts of things ..gain, exp time.  I think I will plot the normal tracking accuracy without guiding??

Could be metal dust in gears?  Could be a sticky spot on the main gear (bad hobbing)  Could be dirt in the main bearing. Could be the backlash reaching balance point??

I am at a loss.. Brand new mount.  Could just return it to FLO?  Really a hassle getting of the tower and I am not good on ladders!

On 8/16/2016 at 07:50, ollypenrice said:

If you have lots of backlash in Dec, look no further, surely? You need to tune that out or ask your dealer to do so. Wind will easily blow the OTA back and forth acrossbacklash. It isn't easy to use imbalance to fix Dec backlash because the position of an imbalancing weight needs to vary with the scope's position but the standard trick is to guide only in one direction in Dec. Disabling one Dec direction is easy in AstroArt. It's in the window which shows you the guide star.

There is no reason in principle why the short belt drives should be the cause. They are used in 10 Microns, for instance.

Olly

Ok thanks Oly.. I was just a bit reluctant to start changing factory setup on a mount fresh from FLO.  Since then I have tried on a windless day. Same problem...

Something not right.  I need a good test to send to FLO and Skywatcher that says ..Dirt in gears or bearings or sticky position on main gear????

John

(Must get to your place some time on my way to the house in Pyrenees! Went to COAA last year.)

13 minutes ago, Astronome said:

Something not right.  I need a good test to send to FLO and Skywatcher that says ..Dirt in gears or bearings or sticky position on main gear????

There is no need :smile:  

It is a new mount that was clearly faulty on arrival. I cannot tell who you are from your username but if you email us your details we will arrange a collection and replacement. 

HTH, 

Steve

On 8/16/2016 at 07:50, ollypenrice said:

Olly

There is no need :smile:  

It is a new mount that was clearly faulty on arrival. I cannot tell who you are from your username but if you email us your details we will arrange a collection and replacement. 

HTH, 

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the offer.  I really wanted to prove that there was not another reason for the strange guiding effects.  I am going to do one more check with PHD2 since I have done a PHD2 drift align now.  It is quite a job to get the mount off the tower and pack it ready for shipment( Since I never keep packaging!)  if it is caused by some system failure.

I have now read the PHD2 guiding diagnostics document and will run a test next clear night.  In this test you will be able to see the star excursion and the responding guide pulses in one chart.  That will be a definitive test.  Never know it may be 'running in' as it has only had about 4 nights running.

I will get in touch ASAP.

My email is: john@astro.me.uk

Web: http://www.astro.me.uk

John

Have you thought about building a landing or  access platform up there, with a loft ladder for access?

Looks like there's sturdy brickwork up there to attach it to.

If  your setup is anything like mine, you'll be up there fettling at least once a week.

Michael

Archived