Televue 8mm , 15mm plossl

Timebandit

Hello. With the recent sales on with the televue eyepieces .I decided to take advantage of the recent offers. So with a 10.5 mm plossel already in my case I decided a 8mm would be a worthwhile addition. Also I was missing something in around the 15mm range so I thought I would opt for one of those also. The eyepieces arrived and I have managed to use them between the clouds in the refractor and my initial impressions are good. I see these modern plossel from televue are still from Japan which IMO just gives me that bit more reassurance . Now the sales have ended I am so glad I did pick these two up as the humble plossl does seem to be getting a luxury price now .

IMG_20160808_102121.jpg

IMG_20160808_102703.jpg

I hope you like the new additions to the eyepiece case☺

They are very nice plossls :icon_biggrin:

I think I've had around 4 sets of them over the years. The 1st 1.25" eyepieces I ever bought were 3 of the "smoothside" TV plossls. The 26mm was my favourite back then :icon_biggrin:

The only thing against the shorter focal lengths is the eye relief. It's no shorter than any other plossl of course but TV's rather stiff eyecup makes it a little harder to access the full FoV of the 11mm and 8mm.

Congratulations on the new toys. I have the 11mm and the 15mm, I would have bought the 8mm as well but I found the eye-relief a bit on the tight side with the 11mm. I am not sure if it is ust that or whether it's the eye-guard getting in on the act, either way I didn't bother. I am very pleased with the ones I have.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2016 at 05:51, John said:

The only thing against the shorter focal lengths is the eye relief. It's no shorter than any other plossl of course but TV's rather stiff eyecup makes it a little harder to access the full FoV of the 11mm and 8mm.

I think that eye relief tolerance can vary from person to person. I have the TV 8, 11, 15 and 20mm and I find them all very comfortable to use. The stiff eyecup actually helps me to position and centre my eye. I have enjoyed them very much! :)

7 hours ago, Rick Towns said:

I think that eye relief tolerance can vary from person to person. I have the TV 8, 11, 15 and 20mm and I find them all very comfortable to use. The stiff eyecup actually helps me to position and centre my eye. I have enjoyed them very much! :)

Agreed, I've not had any difficulty using short focal length plossls or orthos (definitely no problem centring a 4mm ortho!), although people who wear glasses obviously will.

2 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Agreed, I've not had any difficulty using short focal length plossls or orthos (definitely no problem centring a 4mm ortho!), although people who wear glasses obviously will.

That is a very good point! Although I do wear glasses, I don't have astigmatism, so when I observe, I don't wear them. oddly enough, I don't even use my dominant eye - I use my left (weaker) eye. Not sure why - always have... just feels more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the 20mm, 15mm, and 8mm, as well as the older 10.5mm. I used to have the full set of smoothside ones too - the 13mm was my favourite.

I don't quite understand why people who wear glasses would keep them on when using short focal length Plossls though. At medium to high magnification astigmatism isn't going to be obvious, and the telescope's focuser can adjust the "focus" to the eye, so I would have thought that people would do what I do - take them off to observe from medium power upwards. Also, you can bet that the optical qualities in TeleVue's eyepieces are going to be higher than in your specs, so you're adding a lower quality item to the optical train...

Maybe it's just me...

I've owned sets of both the earlier "smooth side" and the current design TV plossls and very good they were :icon_biggrin:

A 7.4mm, 13mm and 26mm "smooth sides" were my first 1.25" eyepieces bought back in the late 1980's.

The eye relief of the 8mm and 11mm is quite tight even for those that don't wear glasses when observing (like me) and I found the eye relief on the 32mm too long meaning that I needed to hold my eye above the rubber eye cup, which I found a bit frustrating. Adding a TV eyecup extended solved that issue though.

Overall though, fine eyepieces and you could easily go through a lifetime observing with a set, which some observers do I'm sure.

Here is my "set" - I only wanted the 8-20mm TV's. That 32mm is an Orion Sirius and I've had it for AGES! I once fought off a bear with that eyepiece, so I keep it. The 6mm Ortho is for planetary views and resolving the cores of globular clusters. Nice & simple and it works for me! :)

SAM_0338.JPG

3 hours ago, iPeace said:

If you yourself are big enough to fight off a bear with an eyepiece... wow. I'd be swinging the OTA, mount and all.

:happy11:

I threw him off when he was about to attack by asking him his opinion on how surprisingly sharp the 32mm is. He agreed, took my jar of honey and sauntered back off into the woods. ;)

Archived