Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ah Well.......

TJExcalibur

After a big op 2 years ago I was told to take it easy, at 72 slow down and find a hobby. I used to have a Meade telescope and enjoyed the time I spent outside with it. That was 15 years ago and thought I would get the CPC 925 with all the bits. Spent a fortune. First problem was I pulled a stomach muscle, only a few left after the op, lifting the ota onto the tripod outside and got an earful from the doc and swimbo. A set of wheels I thought, great but I am limited next to the house on the patio due to steps down to the garden. Not much of a view so I was considering making a small observatory down the garden but getting a few negative views. Perhaps sell the scope and get a smaller one keeping the eyepieces etc. I will ponder for a while, perhaps find another interest that requires less effort on my knackered body. Could be a bargain on the horizon for someone as it is only a few months old. Happy days!

Just looked it up - big scope indeed, not for those with a tum. Just a thought - I've had great fun with small refractors, light, portable, hassle-free. You should be able to get something very nice if you sell the CPC. There are others here on SGL who have similar or even greater physical challenges. Where there's a will, there are several ways! In any case, good luck and keep faith you will eventually find the good in all this (easy to say, but well meant).

:happy11:

hmmm, negative views?  let me guess.   "Not blocking my light" from the neighbours.  There's an answer to that.  Look up the legal height for a fence, I think it's something like 6ft, then a 2ft trellis on top.  So, whilst not the cheapest option, get a fence put in at that height.  If it's not your legal boundry, that's ok, just put in a fence at the required height inside your property, not on the boundary.  Just make sure that the neighbours do not try to remove the existing fence, as it's that fence and not yours that defines the property lines.  Anyways,  fence up.

Now you have an area behind the fence, and a maximum height defined by the fencing.   So build yourself an observatory, and make sure that it does not go about that height.    If you are feeling brave, build the observatory anyway without the fence making sure not to go over that maximum height and it doesn't matter if the neighbours complain, they won't have any recourse in law.    It's not as though you are going to be making lots of noise out there, for lighting the neighbourhood up.

Of course, once it's up and everything is installed.  Invite those same neighbours around that objected, to view stuff, and make it an open invitation.  They'll come round once or twice maybe, then they'll not bother as it's not their thing, and the objections, which I think are based on fear will go away.

My thought is that when you say observatory, they are thinking large building, with dome, that's huge.  When the reality is that you are talking about what it really just a shed with a trick ;-)

33 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

hmmm, negative views?  let me guess.   "Not blocking my light" from the neighbours.  There's an answer to that.  Look up the legal height for a fence, I think it's something like 6ft, then a 2ft trellis on top.  So, whilst not the cheapest option, get a fence put in at that height.  If it's not your legal boundry, that's ok, just put in a fence at the required height inside your property, not on the boundary.  Just make sure that the neighbours do not try to remove the existing fence, as it's that fence and not yours that defines the property lines.  Anyways,  fence up.

Now you have an area behind the fence, and a maximum height defined by the fencing.   So build yourself an observatory, and make sure that it does not go about that height.    If you are feeling brave, build the observatory anyway without the fence making sure not to go over that maximum height and it doesn't matter if the neighbours complain, they won't have any recourse in law.    It's not as though you are going to be making lots of noise out there, for lighting the neighbourhood up.

Of course, once it's up and everything is installed.  Invite those same neighbours around that objected, to view stuff, and make it an open invitation.  They'll come round once or twice maybe, then they'll not bother as it's not their thing, and the objections, which I think are based on fear will go away.

My thought is that when you say observatory, they are thinking large building, with dome, that's huge.  When the reality is that you are talking about what it really just a shed with a trick ;-)

Opposition is from swimbo, a shed of sorts as it would be is more work. 

Try a Telegizmos 365 cover,

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/astronomy-telegizmos-telescopes-covers/365-series-telescopes-covers/telegizmos-cover-8-925-sct

Cheaper than an obsy and less obtrusive. The 365 series are designed for exactly that, 24/7 365 and are extremely well made. I have one covering £7.5k+ worth of kit.

DSCF1060.JPG

DSCF1061.JPG

Put yourself first,if you cant manage it,change.Nothing worse than getting injured,and spending weeks kicking yourself for doing it in the first place.

A lot of us will have been there,hence the advice.

Light is the way to go.

Get better soon.

Mick.

The C925 OTA is not actually that heavy, it's the CPC version that's pretty unwieldy. What about selling the CPC and just getting a 925 on a suitable mount. I use one on a Vixen GP which is an EQ5 equivalent and quite easy to set up. Even a C8 would be very nice, and lighter still.

Having finally realised that my back is shot, I've got rid of my heavy scopes and just use small refractors or lighter OTAs such as the C9.25. My back certainly thanks me for it.

Having had a chat with swimbo and family I have decided it is best to sell the CPC 925, possibly the whole setup. As we are getting older it is most likely we will need to move as the upkeep of a big house is hard work and/or costly. I could keep the eyepieces etc but being as they are ES 82 degree they could end up sat there never used. Now to list it all and decide on a price. Happy days! 

On 06/08/2016 at 19:56, TJExcalibur said:

After a big op 

A set of wheels / patio due to steps down to the garden. Not much of a view

get a smaller one

Could be a bargain

getting older / need to move / upkeep of a big house

Having had a chat with swimbo

Yes, all sorts are designed to thwart us ! I've been trying to decide for several months what to get to get back into things, at least you made a decision and got on with it !

Some thoughts :-

Wheels, steps are my prob also > Something really really big on wheels would be ok next to the house as the limited view would not be a problem, plenty to see with something big, it is little scopes that have to be carried to clear views of bright objects :)

Smaller one > Does it have to be visual use only, have you considered EAA or Camera,  they can use smaller scopes, just takes a wee bit longer to build up a picture that can be observed by the fireside :)

Bargain > Dont sell it, keep it, a grandchild may soon be along to help you use it ?

Big house > Dont give yourself more problems yet, you have enough of those already LOL! Look on the bright side you may move to a nice little bungalow on a flat patch of ground with a shed at the bottom of the garden just right to convert to an obsy for a CPC9.25

SWMBO > enroll her in weight lifting classes and buy her some of Sir Patrick's books ?

Downsize to something more manageable in a darker location, with a decent garden. Install pier in said garden, 'scope on pier with a robust cover. Even if you have to get a couple of blokes in for the grunt work it should be worth it.

Trouble with age related downsizing is that there are many good reasons why it may not be as dark as one would wish. ( or as dark as where I am now !) -  it may be good to be close to things like shops, bus routes, health places, internet fibers, gas mains, cycleways, even pathways  and, perish the thought, people !! All of which usually involve lamp posts :( and all of which I am nowhere near at the mo. !  Ah well , ,

Honestly, your health is your wealth. Forget about messing around with a scope that you cant use effectively. Forget all the work involved in putting up fencing and an obsy. Sell the scope and downsize to something you can manage well. The 8Se by Celestron is a great scope with plenty of aperture and its very portable. I can manage my one just fine moving it around etc. I'm in a wheelchair, which just goes to show how portable they are.

Archived