SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Coathanger

PepeChambo

"The Coathanger" or Collinder 399 (Cr 399) is an asterism: a grouping of stars that can be see from Earth showing a peculiar alignment which in this case seems the shape of a coathanger. The straight line formed by six stars is the support and four stars in its south side (upwards in image) forms the hook.

Was first described by the Persian astronomer Abd Al-Rahman Al Sufi in his "Book of Fixed Stars" written on year 964. Immersed into the Milky Way is located between constellations Vulpecula and Sagitta. Its ten stars have a brightness from 5 to 7 magnitude. Under a dark sky can be seen at naked eye as an unresolved patch of light, but using only a binoculars appears immediately the Coathanger.
Click on image for enlarge a bit:

Cr399_160710_1200.jpg
GSO 8" f/3.8 & Canon EOS-100D (16 x 240 sec. at ISO-1600); from Hoya Redonda, Valencia (Spain)

Post and image link:
http://cometografia.es/cr399-20160710/

Lovey picture. You've caught the colours nicely.  Coincidentally I looked at the Coathanger through bins last night. One of my favourite objects to look for when I'm just doing some casual observing. 

Your image is exceptional Josè, as are the others I saw on your website. It's rare to see images of this quality.

They inspire me to upgrade my equipment and take a little more time understanding how to use it all :-)

Actually, if I mastered the operation of the equipment I have I might not have to upgrade it har har!

I'll be watching your website for more inspiration :-)

David

16 hours ago, David_L said:

Your image is exceptional Josè, as are the others I saw on your website. It's rare to see images of this quality.

They inspire me to upgrade my equipment and take a little more time understanding how to use it all :-)

Actually, if I mastered the operation of the equipment I have I might not have to upgrade it har har!

I'll be watching your website for more inspiration :-)

David

I'm pleased that you like my images.

I keep on trying do better every time.

Thanks to all ;)

Archived