Anyone know what causes this in a sunset?

Hi,

This strange pattern was seen on two consecutive nights, 1st and 2nd August just after sunset.  The images were taken from the south west of Corfu with a camera phone, but the pattern was real and could be seen with the eye.  My initial thought was it is caused by a mountain or mountain range, but in that direction there aren't any and it is heading out over the med rather than land.  The next land mass is Italy, so may be the Dolomites or the Alps? However, perhaps it is atmospheric?

Night of the 1st Augustimage.jpeg

The night of the 2nd August.

image.jpeg

Interesting that the line between blue and orange is reversed.

I am sure we saw the same thing a few nights previous but I didn't bother taking a photo.  There was too much cloud/haze tonight to see it.

All suggestions are welcomed?

Robin

Beautiful views of a rarity in this country - wall to wall blue sky!

Perhaps the shadows are cast by clouds beyond the horizon? The pictures certainly show a similar effect to the rays of sunlight through broken clouds when the sun is visible in the sky. You know the sort of a sky, what I would call a 'Jesus Sky'!

Thanks guys, we will put it down to clouds and/or mountains then.  I haven't really seen the colours so well defined before, especially on two separate nights, but then living on the east coast sunsets over the sea are a rarity.  Actually seeing the sun back home became a bit of a novelty in June and the first half of July.

Robin

Archived