NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro or EQ6 Pro?

dogfish

I've recently added a Megrez 72 FD to my C8-S, and with the addition of an Ambermile dual mounting bar, I was thinking I'll have to upgrade my CG5-GT, particularly as my interest in trying some imaging is growing.

My question is this: will I get away with moving to a HEQ5 Pro or will the weight mean I need an EQ6? I should add that whatever set-up I end up with will need to be portable as I am blighted with suburban skies. I know the usual advice is to get the best mount you can afford, and I probably could stretch to an EQ6, but this would be at the expense of delaying a camera purchase (probably a modded DSLR) and I don't fancy lugging more weight around than I have to. I'm also aware that although 2nd hand HEQ5's do come up fairly regularly, that isn't the case with EQ6's, so the price difference is probably more in the region of £400 rather than the £200 or so when comparing the new prices. I also don't have huge imaging aspirations, I would just like to take some half decent pictures.

Opinions, peoples' experiences with similar set-ups, all are welcome.

Thanks in advance, Martin

You are welcome to do a test run using my HEQ5 Pro, Martin. I would be happy to do a wee "trial run" with you next time we get a night without clouds. If needed we could even strap my 350D on the back of your C8 and see how it goes. I would be interested in finding out myself.

Tom

I have a C8 SCT with a WO72 on a HEQ5 pro and its fine, however you have to consider what you want to do in the future as regards to upgrading your optical tubes. A friend of mine once told me "get the best mount you can afford as you are likely to keep it longer that your optical tubes". As far a portability is concerned I recently did a side by side comparison of the HEQ5 and HEQ6 and the weight difference isn't really that much :shocked:

cheers Jon

Thanks Karlo, I will.

Cheers Tom, have to see how long I can wait before the upgrade. :shocked:

Thanks Jon, it's reassuring to hear of others who are managing fine with the HEQ5.

I've no plans to go for more aperture at the moment. If I did, then I would probably go for a 12" or 16" dob as I couldn't be doing with the hassles of handling big tubes, fitting them to an equatorial mount, balancing etc.

I've heard a few people say that the weight difference isn't that noticable, but with the few clear nights we do have in the West of Scotland, I'd rather avoid the risk of there being anything on top of the usual (I'm tired, It will probably cloud over when I get there, etc) that puts me off going out .

Thanks everyone, Martin

Martin,

You are right about the hassle of big tubes. I started with a 10" SkyWatcher on an EQ6 Pro and I found it very awkward to handle. Ended up fitting an extra dovetail on the "top".

I (reluctantly) sold it and my "big scope" is now a C11, so more aperture but much easier to handle and still rides easily on the EQ6. If you think you may follow suit, it would be worth going for the EQ6.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Good point. My pal David (Psychobabbler on here) has the CPC1100, which I've been lucky enough to have had a good few plays with. But up close, they still seem pretty meaty to me. Maybe I should do some weights :shocked:

Seriously though, I'm also factoring in the possibilty of aperture fever gripping me (again) at some point and figure I wouldn't lose much in selling on an already used HEQ5 Pro if I needed to upgrade the mount because of future weight demands.

Cheers, Martin

Martin

Having a Orion EQG Sirius mount which is identical to the HEQ5, I now wish I had spent the extra money on an EQ6 pro. Getting the EQ6 would allow you to mount an 8" or even a 10" scope and guidescope without overloading the mount. The price difference isnt that great between the HEQ5 Pro and EQ6 Pro but it will cost more to upgrade later if you wish to move upto a heavier scope.

BTW you maybe able to pick up the Orion Atlas mount (which is the same as an EQ6 pro) for less at SCS Astro. My Orion Sirius EQG was £50 cheaper than any advertised HEQ5.

Regards

Kevin

Fair point, you won't lose much on an HEQ5 Pro, especially if you can get hold of a used one.

The C11 OTA is only slightly larger than a decent sized kitchen pedal bin and really not as heavy as you might think. All the weight is at the mirror end so initially its centre of gravity isn't obvious. I'm only 5'7" so the hard part for me is getting it onto the mount - I have it quite high because my garden is surrounded by trees and hence I want to view higher elevations without getting down on my knees.

I don't think a young whipper-snapper like you would need to do weights.

Mike

Thanks KK,

I think I've made my mind up to go for a HEQ5 Pro. I plan to go 2nd hand, thereby giving me some protection from making a huge financial error if I upgrade later.

Thanks everybody for your advice and opinions.

Regards, Martin

Hi Karlo

Thanks. There's also another on UK-Astro buy sell.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=18049

And my folks live in Northampton, so pick up would be simplified :shocked: I'm still waiting to hear from the buyer of my CG5 and as soon as I do, I'll be emailing around. Be nice to get one in time for it getting dark again. BTW are you coming to the Kielder Autumn event? You can give me a HEQ5 tutorial :mrgreen:

Cheers, Martin

My OO 10 inch Newtonian is more than happy on an HEQ5. However, I did borrow a friends Skywatcher 10 inch for a while and that was a different kettle of fish altogether.

It really needed an EQ6, but on the other hand, I didn't need a hernia.

Hi Nick,

I know that's a sensible point, but I can pick up a 2nd hand HEQ5 Pro, but you hardly ever see a 2nd hand EQ6 Pro. The difference then becomes £400, and that's the price of a modded 350D. I only have an SC1 modded webcam at the moment, and if I went for the EQ6 I'd have to save up for a half-decent camera. That's the main reason why I'm leaning towards the HEQ5.

Cheers, Martin

Archived