C-11 hand guided atlas EQ-G mount, Nikon DSLR.  Settings - fine jpeg - 1/2500 sec - iso 1600 - f10- focus bahtinov mask on Arcturus. 961 images, 157 captures of ISS, 17 pretty good ones.  Well my best to date anyway.  Maybe will try stacking some, never done it with ISS images before.

Thanks,

ML 

montage - Copy.jpg

montage2 - Copy.jpg

sick4 - Copy.jpg

sick1 - Copy.jpg

13 hours ago, ultramol said:

Can I ask are the bottom two images stacked, or are they single frames ?

They are both individual frames out of the 17 decent ones, slightly sharpened in PS with unsharp mask and levels adjustment- grey background pulls out additional detail.  I don't think I have enough data for stacking though, may try it anyway.  The fine jpegs have decent detail on their own, each was 10 - 10.2 MB.

Thanks !

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 16:37, ultramol said:

Thanks for the reply. If I ciould just ask how you fired your shutter whilst manouvering your telecsope.

Interval timer shooting built into DSLR, think most cameras have similar function.  Set interval to 1 sec, then set number of intervals x shots / interval to 1000 x 9.  Camera will take 9 shots as fast as possible then has to stop for a minimum of 1 sec then takes another 9 shots until 1000 intervals total or just end session.  If I was shooting raw instead of jpeg fine id have to wait longer than 1 sec, minimum 3 sec and probably a lot longer being they are so large.  Best to stick with jpeg or fine jpeg for maximum speed.  I picked that tip up here in someone's ISS post.

I didn't use an illuminated cross hairs, just kept following ISS in finder scope staying ahead of it so if I stop and let go, not touch anything it passes through center or near center of finder scope.  Then just kept doing that across sky.  This was my 10th attempt or so with no success prior due to wrong settings or bumping finder scope out of whack, poor focus, tripping, falling over etc.  If I can do it, positive you can.

24 minutes ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

Interval timer shooting built into DSLR, think most cameras have similar function.  Set interval to 1 sec, then set number of intervals x shots / interval to 1000 x 9.  Basically means camera will take 9 shots as fast as possible then has to stop for a minimum of 1 sec then takes another 9 shots until 1000 shots total.  If I was shooting raw instead of jpeg fine id have to wait longer than 1 sec, minimum 3 sec and probably a lot longer being they are so large.  Best to stick with jpeg or fine jpeg for maximum speed.  I picked that tip up here in someone's ISS post.

I didn't use an illuminated cross hairs, just kept following ISS trying to jump ahead of it where I thought it would pass through center of finder scope and then letting go and not touch anything as it passed through the center or near center of finder scope.  Then just kept doing that across sky.  This was my 10th attempt or so with no success prior due to wrong settings or bumping finder scope out of whack, poor focus, tripping, falling over etc.  If I can do it, positive you can.

Hadn't thought of using the quick-fire/burst feature. I've only tried using the built-in video capture setting. Never thought to guess where the ISS would pass. I'd been trying to smoothly(!) track it - and rarely got even an ISS smudge on the sensor. Thanks for the tip. :headbang:

Thank you for your help. The ISS is passing me at the minute but cloudy nights mean I cant do anything . Very frustrating.....but I will practice this method indoors.

Thanks Again........Geoff

Archived