SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EP's for Solar viewing

valleyman

Just now, valleyman said:

Is it OK to use normal EP's on a Solar Telescope such as Lunt or Coronado or do you have to use the same brand EP's that the manufactures produce

Pat 

Quite ok to use normal eyepieces, I don't think the branded ones offer any advantage from what I've read.

Many people find that the simple eyepiece designs such as Orthos or plossls work well in solar scopes, you don't need expensive wide angle eyepieces to get lovely views.

Kellners and plossls work the best (keep in mind that some may not reach focus or may not be comfortable to use). I tired h-alpha with Ethos and Delos and while I did like using the Delos, I still find the eyepieces with fewer elements to work fine. 

If you have a tilt-tune system where you have to tilt the reflections out of the fov, using an eyepiece with a smaller fov is beneficial since the most contrast is achieved with minimal tilt tuning.

Archived