SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Huge image on screen

Hi - I'm trying to capture an image of the sun, which when I'm looking through a 25mm eyepiece appears fine (Celestron 9.25). When I exchange the eyepiece for my ZWO ASI120MC-S and try to use SharpCap, the image is huge on screen - I can only see a small section.

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thanks

57 minutes ago, CornwallBob said:

Hi - I'm trying to capture an image of the sun, which when I'm looking through a 25mm eyepiece appears fine (Celestron 9.25). When I exchange the eyepiece for my ZWO ASI120MC-S and try to use SharpCap, the image is huge on screen - I can only see a small section.

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thanks

You are doing nothing wrong. The sensor of the ZWO120 is quite small and the field of view you get with it will be a lot less than a 25mm eyepiece.

see here: for comparison. The larger circle represent the fov of a 25mm eyepiece and the rectangle that of the ZWO camera.

astronomy_tools_fov.png

Try pointing at the moon, you'll be able to make a mosaic that's fantastic quality.  You'd need to reduce the focal length that you are using with the webcam be a huge amount to be able to get the whole sun in.  I don't think that a FR exists that could do it.  Switching to a DSLR should give you the ability to fit the whole sun in the image because of the much larger sensor.

You may want to get some mosaic helper software as you are going to have a lot of tiles, it sucks to spend hours on a mosaic and then find that you missed a bit.

Even with a 0.33 reducer you would need a 6 pane mosaic to get the whole sun.

2 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Try pointing at the moon, you'll be able to make a mosaic that's fantastic quality.  You'd need to reduce the focal length that you are using with the webcam be a huge amount to be able to get the whole sun in.  I don't think that a FR exists that could do it.  Switching to a DSLR should give you the ability to fit the whole sun in the image because of the much larger sensor.

And he'll be able to capture some wonderful AR closeups!

Ah, the tortuous pain that is mosaics. This is my effort with an ASI120M on the moon a little while ago with a much smaller focal length than your C9.25, so you will have even more tiles to yours! If you commit to such a project and it works, you will have a simply awesome lunar/solar image though, the resolution would be astounding!

ba9661a068c97709c6594dac8302a62e.1824x0_

Archived