Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7000 in mono (Ha)

Luis Campos

Hi guys,

Believe it or not I was still to  get a decent image of NGC 7000 and now with a near full moon but clear skies I went for it with my humble SW ED80 / 0.8X reducer using my Mono Canon 550D and 7 nm Ha filter, I'm very pleased with the result given it's "only" 4 hours total exposure, wich is really not that much using a 7nm ha filter and a "slowish" ED 80 :)

Even on the dark dust lanes a good amountof details can be seen and the stars are nice, small and sharp thanks to the ha filter and overal sharpness of the little ED80, I really love this dirty cheap little scope :)

Now I'll wait for the moon to go away to capture some good OIII data and do a nice bicolor version.

Here goes NGC 7000:

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Hope you enjoy ;)

Cheers,

k

On 18/07/2016 at 00:03, Uranium235 said:

Looks pretty good Luis, the only thing it probably needs is 2/3rds focusing to sort out the corners a little better.

Thanks Rob :)

Yep, those corners do get me mad...:( it's a pitty the reducer/flattener doesn't work at 100% but in the end I really can't complain of such a cheap setup :) Also I must loose one night working on the distance, I just have it attached to the T-ring, maybe I need to try some extra spacing and see what happens. I read somewere (can't remenber were...) that one could see if it needed more or less spacers based on the star shapes at the corners, do you know anything about this?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Luis Campos said:

Thanks Rob :)

Yep, those corners do get me mad...:( it's a pitty the reducer/flattener doesn't work at 100% but in the end I really can't complain of such a cheap setup :) Also I must loose one night working on the distance, I just have it attached to the T-ring, maybe I need to try some extra spacing and see what happens. I read somewere (can't remenber were...) that one could see if it needed more or less spacers based on the star shapes at the corners, do you know anything about this?

Cheers

Luis, the corner stars seem to have a rotational distortion, so it highly likely the the spacing needs to be reduced a little (maybe 1mm). Its also worth doing 2/3rds focusing with the 80ED + FF/FR, as when I used one with my 383 it never quite flattened properly when using a centrally placed focusing star. Just shift it out a bit, then focus - it might even fix it without having to tamper with the spacing (worth a try!).

3 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Luis, the corner stars seem to have a rotational distortion, so it highly likely the the spacing needs to be reduced a little (maybe 1mm). Its also worth doing 2/3rds focusing with the 80ED + FF/FR, as when I used one with my 383 it never quite flattened properly when using a centrally placed focusing star. Just shift it out a bit, then focus - it might even fix it without having to tamper with the spacing (worth a try!).

If I need to reduce the distance then I'm in trouble as I don't have any way to do it except machining the T-adaptor (it's worth a try they're cheap) I'll also try to defocus slightly in or out and see what happens to the corners ;)

Thanks ;)

Archived