NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Dumbell Nebula Photo!

Hi!

I have been into astrophotography for a little less than a month now, and I love it. I have photographed quite a few objects, but the Dumbbell Nebula is really the first one that I have committed to taking a long time over several nights to image. I am very proud of this one! The image is from 420 stacked subframes of 30 second exposure at ISO 800. I gave deep sky stacker 610 frames, but it rejected 190. Some were out of focus, and I assume the mount likely jiggled, or some other disturbance may have ruined a few frames. Either way though, for this picture, I'm gonna say it was close enough :)  I'm using an Orion 8" Newtonian Astrograph on an unguided Atlas mount. I really hope you enjoy it, and let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Dumbell One copy.jpg

barrie greenwood I'm using an unmodified Nikon D3200 and a little infrared remote control. If you don't already have a remote control, I higly recommend it!! Its a tiny piece of hardware, but I use it every night:) And thanks for the feedback everyone! Very encouraging, I appreciate it a lot:)

That is a wonderful first image. You got a nice even background without clipping, round stars and detail in the nebula. As Mike already mentioned, there's probably more to be squeezed out by processing. That's the other half of the fun of AP.

Welcome to the dark side (and the bottomless moneypit :wink: )

That a very nice image, with 420 sub frames, you should have an excellent signal to noise ratio.  This makes me wonder if you are able to stretch the image any more to bring out more colour.  That's something to play with on a rainy day ;)   Right now, I'd be really happy with that result.

Archived