Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Charles Messier birthday on Sunday 26/6

DHEB

Just a reminder of potential interest: Charles Messier was born on 26 June 1730 (in Badonviller, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine, France). Accordingly, this next Sunday is Monsieur Messier's 286th anniversary. Perhaps some of us want to remember him in some special way? Having a look at one or more of the objects he cataloged? For my part it will be just thinking and reading, as the sky is too bright to observe anything. Cheers and Happy Birthday Charles!

640px-Messierbadon.JPG

Born in Badonviller, roughly half way between Nancy and Strasbourg in the top right corner of France. About his famous list, he commented:

What caused me to undertake the catalog was the nebula I discovered above the southern horn of Taurus on September 12, 1758, while observing the comet of that year. ... This nebula had such a resemblance to a comet in its form and brightness that I endeavored to find others, so that astronomers would not confuse these same nebulae with comets just beginning to shine. I observed further with suitable refractors for the discovery of comets, and this is the purpose I had in mind in compiling the catalog.
After me, the celebrated Herschel published a catalog of 2000 which he has observed. This unveiling the sky, made with instruments of great aperture, does not help in the perusal of the sky for faint comets. Thus my object is different from his, and I need only nebulae visible in a telescope of two feet
[focal length].

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Guess so. It was common back then. Sounds to me that maybe Messier could have been a tad jealous of Hershel: "The celebrated Hershel".

Agree, except that rivalry and jealousy are also common in academia today. I know because I was an academic until fairly recently. Only glad I left that working environment.

In the same context I can feel that Messier might have been put off badly by Herschel skills, progress and superior technology and that, with the ensuing growing reputation of Herschel, might have deeply hurt the proud Messier. This is not surprising at all in such an endevour as science, so much influenced by pride and self brilliancy. Messier might have also been deeply affected by the death of his wife and son, soon after the birth of the latter. Not an easy situation in life, both then as now. In any case, I do not see here a competition between two great astronomers. I see big merits in both, and this Sunday I will fill a cup of good French wine and give a toast to the great Messier, for all his legacy, and his love for astronomy, which we also share. (Will do the same for Herschel for his birthday :icon_biggrin:). Cheers!

So,  aperture fever didn't afflict Messier?  A tad envious of Hercshel perhaps,  but he did well   to catalogue all his objects with the instrument  he had.    
  As intimated,   his prime reason for recording his list,  was to  prevent others from  mistaking them for Comets,  which were his  main  interest  initially.    
 The old saying,  'We Stand On The Shoulders Of Giants',   is attributed to men like Charles Messier,  Herschel,  Tycho Brahe,  Kepler  Copernicus,  Galileo, Newton,  and many more.  
How amazed those guys would be today,  could they see the progress they in their different ways,  initiated. 

Archived