NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Super campsites for Sky Nerds

lulu57

In April, Ian and I went to stay on a campsite in Suffolk. It had the most amazing dark skies, low horizons, plush new shower block and yummy breakfast baps. I'd never been to Suffolk before and I was so impressed. Here it is...

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/East_Anglia/Suffolk/Darsham/haw-wood-caravan-park/

(I'm not related to the owners and I don't have a vested interest, BTW). We saw so much galactic eye candy through my 8se and the Milky Way was resplendent - it was the best observing we'd had in years.

Since we've both decided to work part-time, we're going to be holidaying in this country much more. Does anybody have any similar campsite gems they can recommend to us? I'm determined to get my money's worth out of this blow-up tent!

Good idea to share such places.

I always stay in Norway for the summer holiday. Nice, small campsites that we like are disappearing every year. The ones remaining are usually those full of permanent caravans. I know a couple of nice campsites, have not considered how they are in matters of astronomy, as I wasn't an astronomer before autumn last year.

We usually go hiking in the mountains where the skies are great, if it weren't for the midnight sun, or at least very light skies if below the polar circle. Anyway, from the end of august the darkness should be returning in the southern regions.

I don't really recall camp sites in the UK suitable for astronomy, but I can wholeheartedly recommend "Camping Les Graves" in St. Pierre Lafeuille, near Cahors:

http://www.camping-lesgraves.com/index-en.php

Very dark skies when I last went (planning on going again this year), and large open spaces to set up the scope. Very nice people running it, good food, and quiet (nice swimming pool too)

Usha gap near Hawes superb skies and lovely site, might set up a little star party later in year as owners have been contacted by campain for dark skies to promote astro on site

Given how difficult it is to find truly dark skies, it seems like a great marketing opportunity. I've seen some of your UK national parks have gotten a dark sky designation. Kids shouldn't grow up having never seen the splendor of the Milky Way.

Recently visited Helford River Campsite http://www.helfordrivercamping.co.uk/ on the Lizard Peninsula (S. Cornwall). A charming site with dark skies and unrestricted views in all directions. Nothing here except a field with electric and toilets - no lighting except in toilet block. Ask to be located in the Western portion of the field and the toilet blocks lights won't affect you. Highly recommended.  

Lulu, I see you have discovered Suffolk's best kept secret! Indeed it is a gem of a site and the new toilet and shower block with the cafe has added another Jewel to its crown. I've been going there for a few years now to enjoy the splendid night sky it has to offer. 

http://www.lgfc.org.uk/

This place is on our doorstep. Its horizons are relatively high due to its valley location - and as its the lakes the weather can be wet. I used to live just up the valley and the skies are stunning when its clear - its a designated dark skies site. My other half lived all her life in towns/cities and had never seen the Milky Way before here.

There is a campsite, pubs , hotel  and B&B in Ennerdale itself if you prefer closer to civilisation.

Archived