NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

19th June - Some White Light Close Ups

David Smith

Half a chance this morning to shoot some video of the Sun. All of the images below were extracted from SER files that were shot through passing cloud / haze. These were taken using the QHY5, ND3.8 film filter, my new-to-me Baader UV IR cut filter and my Baader OIII filter. All are 60 frames stacked from 1000 in AS!2 and then sharpened in ImPPG before finalising in GIMP. Quite pleased with these as they demonstrate to me that this setup has potential.

20160619_WL_QHY.png

20160619_WL_AR2553_2x.png

20160619_WL_AR2557_2x_Crop.png

20160619_WL_AR2553_2x_Crop.png

I also shot some full disks as well, one with ND5 setup and the other using the ND3.8. Will process and post the results later.

Very nice shots Dave. I've not had a chance to see this AR so it's good to see a close up. Are you finding much difference with the ND3.8 film? I guess you can use shorter exposures? The UV/IR cut should sharpen things up too from what I've heard

Thanks both. Yes the ND3.8 just allows me to use the OIII filter and still use a reasonable exposure. I used to use my Baader neodymium as I did not have the UV IR but struggled to get good sharp images. Fortunately one came up on ABS the other week so i grabbed it! Looking at the results of these first tests the UV IR cut is definitely an improvement.

2 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Thanks both. Yes the ND3.8 just allows me to use the OIII filter and still use a reasonable exposure. I used to use my Baader neodymium as I did not have the UV IR but struggled to get good sharp images. Fortunately one came up on ABS the other week so i grabbed it! Looking at the results of these first tests the UV IR cut is definitely an improvement.

Have you considered a Continuum filter David?

Archived