Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another What Telescope thread ...

14 hours ago, Hiijinx said:

The dobsonian is purely a stand and the actual telescope is no different from https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html , correct?

I think I have narrowed it down further to need;

a. A stand (more expensive than a dob I know but feel I would use it A LOT more)

b. Simple - ie no power/tracker, just a point and look scope which does not require batteries/power supply.

c. Terrestrial no longer a requirement, just a bonus.

My goals are to search the sky mainly for planets/stars with a book and tick them off. :)

Have also upped my max budget to include the following.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-eq3-2.html

^^** (question on this one - it has been said the FoV is quite poor for searching, just how bad are we talking here? Like looking through a toilet roll tube, better/worse?)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-102-eq3-2.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-120-az3.html

The bottom 2 being cheaper would allow for some potential accessories to try and improve them also.

If it were your first scope with your own money, which would it be and why? 

Thanks again everyone :)

If it was me I'd go for the Mak 127 or the ST120. As you can see from my sig I have both types albeit different sizes.

I had (until recently) a Dob, nothing wrong with them, I just prefer the fracs and maks. As for FOV issues with the Mak this is pretty much a non issue unless you are hunting for large FOV fuzzies (DSOs). It certainly isn't like looking through a toilet roll tube! ? I have seen quite a few of the 'easier' DSOs (eg ring nebular, cigar Galaxy) in my back garden with my Mak and a 28mm 2" ep - FOV wasn't an issue at all - and was better than anything I'd seen in my 150 Dob.

Hope that helps ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For close-in work, I'd get a Maksutov. For wide-fields of stars - even an ST80 F/5 Refractor would suffice. You don't have to 'break the bank.' Now while a Maksutov would not be the choice for wide-fields or extended nebulae as regards some DSO's, for other DSO's like globular clusters and ring-nebulae - they are ideal. Hardly 'useless.'

No one telescope can do everything is very true. But it's quite possible to cover both bases (American colloquialism) without spending Little Bobbys' and Suzys' College-Fund. At least for awhile. Most of us 'astrophiles' take very good care of our toys, so re-selling them later, as taste dictates, will bring back roughly 2/3rds of the original investment.

Woof!

Dave

P.S. - Orion-USA has ST80 F/5 OTA's on sale at $89.99 as of this writing! That's the lowest price I've ever seen for these wonderful little galaxy-gulpers! Check your local dealers - it might be extended over in Europa.

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Refractor-Telescopes/Refractor-Optical-Tube-Assemblies/Orion-ShortTube-80-Refractor-Telescope-Optical-Tube-Assembly/pc/1/c/10/sc/346/p/9948.uts

Update

After all your brilliant help and from FLO themselves, I have decided on the Mak 127. 

I have also been recommended https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/vixen-porta-ii-mount.html as a mount due to the weight of the scope which obviously brings it quite a ways above my initial budget so will have to consider this.

Are there any must have accessories I should consider?

great :-)

Make a home made dew shield this will keep the due off the lens. Sturdy carboard will work for a while so you can get used to the new telescope before deciding how much better to make one or buy a heated one.

I can't comment on the mount never used one.

Nah!! to be adult size you must be able to fit "inside " it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            My mistake swamp thing, I thought it was the height and width and weight. I am glad there are more senior members to correct me. I will  make my way to the corner of the DOB house as punishment?

56 minutes ago, Hiijinx said:

Update

After all your brilliant help and from FLO themselves, I have decided on the Mak 127. 

I have also been recommended https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/vixen-porta-ii-mount.html as a mount due to the weight of the scope which obviously brings it quite a ways above my initial budget so will have to consider this.

Are there any must have accessories I should consider?

Great choice. That will get you started nicely and will give you great views of moon, planets and 'mainstream' DSOs such as nebulas and clusters. I think it comes with 25mm and 10mm eyepieces (eps) which will do for a start. You will want to upgrade them but it would be best to wait so you can get used to what you like. You could invest in a decent Barlow lens, say a 2x which in effect would also give you a 12.5mm and 5mm ep using those above respectively. Someone here will advise on a good starter choice - I don't use one - but that's just a preference thing. As suggested by happy-Kat a dew shield is a must have too but easy to make.

My advice would be to invest in some free (or cheap) stuff to start feeding your knowledge of the hobby. Stellarium is a great free piece of software to explore the night sky with. Sky Safari is brilliant too but you have to pay for the pro version. Both are available as apps too. Turn Left At Orion is a fantastic starter book - available new and used from Amazon etc. Another good source of information are libraries - they have often underused astronomy sections. I also like to hunt around charity shops as you often find some little gems there too for a quid or so.

You'll enjoy it immensely. Make sure you let us know how you get on with your first light when it finally arrives.

I have the Mak127 and have bought some accessories to go with it. A focal reducer, this gives a wider field of view for the larger objects. A solar filter, for white light solar viewing. A erecting prism, for correct image terrestrial viewing. A mains adaptor for the mount. A couple of better quality eyepieces. And I have a homemade dew shield (laminated cardboard)!

I have had it nearly 6 months now (from FLO) and have not been disappointed! 

Thanks for the tips all.

It's reasons like this I love forums, I was under the impression it didnt need an erecting prism! 

Still undecided on the mount (will order in morning) - it is definitely a no-go with an EZ mount for occasional terrestrial viewing? The bundles are so much cheaper than the one linked.

A mirror diagonal used with a refractor, maksutov-cassegrain or SCT gives an image with north and south as our eyes see them but with east and west reversed.

An erecting prism is fine for terrestrial views but the additional glass / reflections makes them less suitable for the more critical business of observing astronomical objects.

I have re read the original post and realised I had missed the mark with my thought, sorry about that you were quite clear on what you were after.

A hat is useful for observing to keep warm.

A red light torch, nail varnish will do the trick.

13 hours ago, Hiijinx said:

Still undecided on the mount (will order in morning) - it is definitely a no-go with an EZ mount for occasional terrestrial viewing? The bundles are so much cheaper than the one linked.

It is possible to use the EQ for occasional terrestrial viewing. It is just not very intuitive, as it is specialized for following the celestial objects while the earth turns around. That means you will have to adjust the slow motion controls quite a bit to get the best viewing position.

My 127mm Mak came with an additional bar for fitting it on a photo tripod. So when I want to view terrestrial, I just swap to that tripod.

But in practice, my telescope stands on it's mount in the guest room, with the star diagonal (mirrored view). If I want to look at some boats, I just grab my binoculars. That goes faster and I don't need to swap to the amici prism.

What I can highly recommend for the 127mm Mak, is a Rigel Quikfinder. This helps enormously for finding objects with that small field of view. Your scope comes either with a small 6x30 finder scope or with a red dot finder. The Rigel is a form of red dot finder. If you already have it, you can consider buying a 50mm raci finder scope.

Ordered !! :D

I actually ended getting the https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-supatrak.html after all which was suggested early on.

What swayed me was the sheer price difference (£319 even with a £56 power tank) worked out so much cheaper than the £259 OTA and £249 mount suggested. That and it even comes with a x2 barlow and erecting prism so dont' need to buy those extra.

If I don't get on with the mount, I figure I can easily upgrade later on and not empty the bank all in one go!

Will let you all know when it arrives and how the first night goes.

Thanks again to all - couldn't have done it without you. :)

Great idea.

You can start your journey now.

At a later date could keep an eye out on the for sale section on here, uk buy and sell, astroboot and places like FLO clearance for a mount like the Az4 for your quick to setup tripod.

You may already own a very sturdy photo tripod so have a look at this thread.

Link here

4 hours ago, Hiijinx said:

Ordered !! :D

I actually ended getting the https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-supatrak.html after all which was suggested early on.

What swayed me was the sheer price difference (£319 even with a £56 power tank) worked out so much cheaper than the £259 OTA and £249 mount suggested. That and it even comes with a x2 barlow and erecting prism so dont' need to buy those extra.

If I don't get on with the mount, I figure I can easily upgrade later on and not empty the bank all in one go!

Will let you all know when it arrives and how the first night goes.

Thanks again to all - couldn't have done it without you. :)

Awesome. Can't wait to hear your first light report! You'll love it. Well done!! ?

Well it arrived today - very happy with it so far testing it out terrestrially. Nothing exciting seen so far except a spray painted sheep but was amazed that I could actually read the "M" on it across the valley.

Definitely going to buy a manual mount, while the motor isn't exactly "noisey", I still can't imagine using it late without annoying the neighbours.

And tonight.... it's....... cloudy :p Oh well, supposed to be a clear spot around 3am tonight so might try and wake up for a few minutes just to see.

For simplicity and ease of use for both terrestrial and sky viewing the ST102 and 120 would be my pitch.

The ST series are generally good with regards optics and on some brighter objects you can get CA but on wide field,as has alreay been said, they are very good scopes. Simple to set up, easy to use and very transportable.

Its been cloudy all day but saw a short gap in the clouds appear and  a bright star in the sky off to the south at 22:30 so ran to the telescope frantically trying to find it before the clouds covered it up.

I was using the 25mm super wide lens which was obviously out of focus because I kept spotting this object which I can only describe as the shieny side of a CD, complete with a small hole in the middle, which I dismissed as being a reflection from somewhere but kept seeing it while searching for this star.  I decided to try and focus in on it and it became smaller, to about the side of a polo mint and ended up a small white, irregular circle.

Excited, I switched to the 10mm lens but failed to find it again before the clouds covered it up.

Am I jumping to conclusions or did I just spot Saturn for a split second?! :o

Archived