Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Mars a doubt!

astroavani

74f8c53f00b475c71cc4bc643fa38ff2.620x0_q
Despite seeing around 3.5 / 5, the high-speed camera ASI 224 will not let me in the hand and allows obtaining an interesting picture.
Many features visible in this image but what stands out most are Syrtis Major, Sinus Meridiani Sinus sabaeus and involving the Desert Arabia and Aeria.
But what really caught my eye in the picture, was a boss (indicated by the yellow arrow) where it should be located Sinus Margaritifer.
It would be a cloud at high altitude?
It would be a high topographical feature, since Mars is rapidly decreasing phase?
I hope that a colleague with more knowledge about this interesting planet can provide more detailed information.
I'm waiting for comments!
Avani
http://www.astrobin.com/252260/0/

Hi Avani. It's a beautiful image with excellent detail. I used Topaz Adjust to make a B&W version. Topaz Adjust does selective contrast adjustments. Here I set its sliders so that the darker parts of the terminator become visible. As a result the bright feature no longer seems to stick out like a mountain. It's a pity really. We would have named it Avani Mons.

topaz adjust cropped.png

I hope you're not too sad though. Mars may have lost a mountain, but it gained a fine set of rings.

Thank you for yet another magnificent image!

My colleague Christophe Pellier posted the following comment:
Avani's cloud is located at longitude 45/50 ° and -12 ° latitude. The closest volcanoe (Arsia) is at Long 121 ° / -9 ° Lat. Anyway the answered Has Been Given now: this is a dust storm. It has beautifully Been imaged by Damian Peach one rotation later.
Christophe Pellier (and confirmed on the same date two days later by Rich Jakiel)

Clipboard01.png

Archived