Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

using data from two scopes

Hi all,

Ive got data from two different sized scopes. is it possible to combine in photoshop or do I need another software? I have Maxim dl if that helps. I really don't want to have to buy a different software just for this as it hasn't happened too often (the different sized scopes).

Thanks for any input possible

Scott

1 minute ago, MattJenko said:

It could be done in Photoshop but I think you are looking at a very manual and tricky process unless there are some actions or plugins I am not aware of.

simplicity is my aim Matt :) .

ImageJ has registering plugin I believe.

Using that, you can specify transforms you allow it to perform on data, and set output params, so you can perform registering on FITS and save as fits files after transformation.

9 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

Send me the image files if you want and I'll run them through Registar.

You beat me to it! Fabulous software and something I use on every image I do. If we are gong to call it a one trick pony we have to admit that it's a pony which can pull pit trucks full of coal, win a show jump Olympic, the Grand National, the Derby and dive three hundred feet from a circus platform into a thimblefull of boiling fat. It's a trick with variations!

:Dlly

Scott, MaxIm DL will indeed do this for you but not as well as Registar. Interestingly, this is the second thread on this subject to appear recently! I would try MaxIm DL first as you already have it as this will save you about  $180 US Dollars - I found MaxIm to work very well indeed but without doubt Registar has the edge because, unlike MaxIm, it processes images in a non-linear manner so it compensates for discrepancies in the optics between.

10 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

Send me the image files if you want and I'll run them through Registar.

29 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You beat me to it! Fabulous software and something I use on every image I do. If we are gong to call it a one trick pony we have to admit that it's a pony which can pull pit trucks full of coal, win a show jump Olympic, the Grand National, the Derby and dive three hundred feet from a circus platform into a thimblefull of boiling fat. It's a trick with variations!

:Dlly

Stephen and Olly, 

Thanks muchly for the kind offers . I've not checked the data I collected last week yet but I'll let you know how things go. At what point do you typically run them through registar (or dl for that matter)? Before/after stacking? Before/after stretch?

24 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Scott, MaxIm DL will indeed do this for you but not as well as Registar. Interestingly, this is the second thread on this subject to appear recently! I would try MaxIm DL first as you already have it as this will save you about  $180 US Dollars - I found MaxIm to work very well indeed but without doubt Registar has the edge because, unlike MaxIm, it processesimages in a non-linear manner so it compensates for discrepancies in the optics between.

cheers Steve, I'll have a look if I ever get my laptop back from Julie. She's been streaming some ghosty most nights and I'm relegated to the pc :)

On 10/06/2016 at 13:45, Scott said:

Hi all,

Ive got data from two different sized scopes. is it possible to combine in photoshop or do I need another software? I have Maxim dl if that helps. I really don't want to have to buy a different software just for this as it hasn't happened too often (the different sized scopes).

Thanks for any input possible

Scott

As mentioned, RegiStar is the tool for the job. I just bought it and have been fascinated by how easily it can combine data from two entirely different cameras. The same job _could_ also be done in PixInsight, but I suspect not by me!

ChrisH

11 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

As mentioned, RegiStar is the tool for the job. I just bought it and have been fascinated by how easily it can combine data from two entirely different cameras. The same job _could_ also be done in PixInsight, but I suspect not by me!

ChrisH

As I've said, I've no doubt it's a great piece of software, just not for me or mores the point, not by my wallet

10 hours ago, Scott said:

Stephen and Olly, 

Thanks muchly for the kind offers . I've not checked the data I collected last week yet but I'll let you know how things go. At what point do you typically run them through registar (or dl for that matter)? Before/after stacking? Before/after stretch?

For mosaics it is best to combine the linear data. Registar will, provided you have cropped off the edge artefacts and gone through a good flattening routine like DBE, often produce a seam-free result. If it doesn't I run through a fix on this thread: 

If you want to combine processed data it's more difficult. Ask Registar to align and combine them (and maybe calibrate them to a chosen panel) but then assemble them in Ps whee you can adjust brightnesses and use a soft eraser in a wiggly line to make overlapping joints invisible.

Olly

15 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

[...] The same job _could_ also be done in PixInsight, but I suspect not by me!

ChrisH

Just for completeness: the tool in PixInsight is called StarAlignment. Works like a charm.

But this doens't help the OP, as it will be an investment in yet another AP tool.

Ok,so I had a play with the trial version of registar and it does seem a remarkable piece of software.
I also had  a play with Maxim DL and was quite happy with the results and with no added cost so I think I'll stick with it for now.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Much appreciated :)

This image is not about the processing as all I've done is use the Ha from the 414ex as a luminance layer for the rgb from my modded 1100D 

pelican from dslr and mono ccd0.jpg

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Ok,so I had a play with the trial version of registar and it does seem a remarkable piece of software.
I also had  a play with Maxim DL and was quite happy with the results and with no added cost so I think I'll stick with it for now.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Much appreciated :)

This image is not about the processing as all I've done is use the Ha from the 414ex as a luminance layer for the rgb from my modded 1100D 

pelican from dslr and mono ccd0.jpg

I think there is massive misalignment evident here. Look in particular at the upper left. The stars have red 'beards' so I assume that the Ha layer has not been adjusted for field curvature. I'm not sure which software lies behind the image but it isn't working if you look carefully.

Olly

On 12/06/2016 at 14:25, wimvb said:

Just for completeness: the tool in PixInsight is called StarAlignment. Works like a charm.

But this doens't help the OP, as it will be an investment in yet another AP tool.

...Or DynamicAlignment, which allows manual placement of reference stars. PixInsight is available to try for free for 30 days.

Archived