NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've got a friend who is a beginner - they have a budget of £200. They are only interested in visual astronomy with a particular interest in clusters. I've advised them to have a look at this - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html but her other friend is saying that that scope is no good. What are your recommendations?

Hello. My understanding is that the skywatcher 150p is an ok scope , but you are limited with the aperture. If the budget is around £200 have you considered a used scope. You will get more bang for your buck then. And if it was me I would be looking at a  skywatcher 200p or a 250 dob if you can get it on your budget. These get good reviews.This way you get much more aperture and therefore light into the scope. And on a like for like basis  aperture rules.

Just now, Timebandit said:

Hello. My understanding is that the skywatcher 150p is an ok scope , but you are limited with the aperture. If the budget is around £200 have you considered a used scope. You will get more bang for your buck then. And if it was me I would be looking at a  skywatcher 200p or a 250 dob if you can get it on your budget. These get good reviews.This way you get much more aperture and therefore light into the scope. And on a like for like basis  aperture rules.

I've told her to consider a used scope but I think she is a bit worried about that, so I recommended the 150 dob.

2 hours ago, Linda said:

What are the other fiend's arguments for the scope being no good? Does that friend know about collimation, for instance?

One arguement I've heard although there might be more is - that the scope is only good for photography!! He also said that the scope is hard to collimate.

Hi. I have bought numerous items of Astro kit used and have never really had any type of problem ,as most guys and girls in this hobby are decent people usually looking to upgrade their kit or having moved onto other hobbies or work commitments. Maybe you can explain this to her. If she really wants to buy new then if it was me I would save a bit more and at a minimum go for a 200p. As this is a good starting aperture and a dob is easy to use to locate and track objects as the last thing she wants if a beginner is complex scopes and mounts. This way you enjoy the hobby. Hope this helps

31 minutes ago, Bino Pete said:

One arguement I've heard although there might be more is - that scope is only good for photography!! He also said that the scope is hard to collimate.

What ridiculous arguments they have. 

I think your recommendation is about the best starter scope you can buy, so give yourself a pat on the back. :) 

2 hours ago, Linda said:

What are the other fiend's arguments

Linda's Freudian typo error probably sums it up :icon_biggrin:. Dobs in general are very limited for photography indeed, so I don't know where that's coming from. Collimation is an issue common to any reflector telescope, and is not at all difficult with a little practice. With a budget of 200 pounds for a new telescope for visual observation, a 6 inch Dob is by far the best option!

a 150p dob is a cracking first scope, i carnt think of any what would fit the bill better "only a 2hand 200p" cor wish i had one when i first started, im not saying im old but the first scope i had was a 60mm brass frac with spiders inside it, wish i still had it. charl.

I got my 8" dob 2nd hand for under £200. It was well looked after, just not used anymore. Keep an eye on the classifieds here, and check out Astro buy & sell. As long as the person selling knows what they are talking about, they will probably have looked after it.

if in doubt ask again on here :)

Oh, and as mentioned, a dob is for visual, you would need an EQ mount for photography. The 150 will be a great starter for your friend

Is it worth mentioning that at nearly f8 the 150 is in any case more forgiving of collimation by first-timers than larger 'faster' scopes ( easily collimated without need of fancy costly add-ons, well perhaps not COSTLYcostly ! but if budget is limited it all adds up )

Archived