NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pentax 75 SDHF ?

Lee

Has anyone had any experience with the pentax range of refractors particularly the Pentax 75 SDHF.

I have just completed the sale of my Megrez 90 and would like to replace it with something a bit different.

This scope would suit my budget well.

I understand it has a built in field flattener and is geared up for wide field images, something that I am really into at the moment.

I would be grateful for any thoughts, good or bad. And please refrain from telling me I’m nuts for selling the Megrez. :)

Lee.

From what I've read of the Pentax 'scopes they are legendary. I once looked at the price - sticker shock didn't come into it.

There's a thread on here somewhere relating to the best 'scope for imaging and Arthur (Ambermile) championed the Pentax, backing his opinion up with facts. I'm sure a search on Pentax would throw it up, unless I dreamt it.

Kaptain Klevtsov

The main feather in the Pentax SDHF cap is that it is the only scope at its price that offers such a wide field of illumination, and being Pentax you just know that it'll perform well optically. The downside (compared to your Megrez 90) is that it is a full-on astrograph, intended primarily as an imagers scope. It can be turned to visual but you'd need a 1.25" diagonal as it won't have enough back-focus for most 2" diagonals (Baader offer one that works).

If you Google for Nik Szymanek's work you will see many images made using one and he speaks highly of it.

I would go for the Borg77, well I did! Greg Beeke on UKAI has owned both and said the Borg scope was better. The objective can be interchanged for a 101mm and you can use them visually.

Eddie

I wondered about the small pentax but went for a megrez 110 instead. I was a little concerned about anything faster than that being of any use visually and as I have a 127 F9 apo I didn't want to go to much smaller than that. Think you will find that there is a borg 100 or so for sale on astrobuysell uk at the moment too. I have seen it but didn't try it out. All fits into a case. Seem to remember a megrez 110 on there too.

John

Tis the great thing about the borg stuff is that with the selection of reducers and objectives you can get, you will have six telescope options 77mm and 101mm both able to run @ f4 / f5.5 / f6.5 8)

Eddie

Thanks all for the replies,

The wide field images on Ian Kings site are just fantastic.

The pentax seems to be more in the price range I am looking at.

I still have the 127 MAK for visual, but with my skies I am limited to what I can see. Imaging seems to be a way to see more for me.

Thanks agin to all for the input

Lee.

Steve I have PM'd you for some more info.

The wide field images on Ian Kings site are just fantastic.

The pentax seems to be more in the price range I am looking at.

The Pentax 75 is more expensive than the Borg77 though!

The Borg stuff is very confusing on first looking at it. If you were to buy the F4 version it would be about twice the price of the pentax. but the standard version that I have is £573 from scs astro. With this version you can add the 0.85x DG-L reducer (£215 from scs) or you can add the F4 super reducer (£675 from SCS)

Here is the borg price list, you need Item #6277 http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it050003.htm

Take a look at the huetech (the USA importers) site for loads of info

http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/index.htm

If you need any help with these give me a shout!

Eddie

• 1 year later...
I would go for the Borg77, well I did! Greg Beeke on UKAI has owned both and said the Borg scope was better. The objective can be interchanged for a 101mm and you can use them visually.

Eddie

I realize this is a very old thread but I stumbled upon it and felt a response to this post may still be in order. The Borg 77, while a fine scope and a fine system, cannot compare to the Pentax 75 SDHF. I have owned both and the Pentax wins hands down. I realize the beauty of the Borg system is its adaptability to various focusers, adapters, and larger objective sizes (I have built several oddball scopes on the Borg system using Zeiss objectives) but there are some drawbacks to the Borg system I don't encounter with Pentax. The Borg system of collimation for the 100/101 and larger objectives is archaic and very difficult to adjust. In short, I hate it. Borg objective corrections are not as good as Pentax, you get what you pay for I suppose.

I am not trying to put Borg down, they have a great and very universal system, but I have come to prefer Pentax optical and mechanical quality.

Posted for what it's worth.

YMMV

Don

• 2 weeks later...
The turrets are pretty cool as well!!! I'm not sure how they'd cope with 4 Hyperions hanging off them though!!! :)

Hideous plastic...IMHO...scopes first class...for sure, that turret is a toy

Archived