NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

jupiter, but no surface details...filter needed?

hi,

just bought a celestron 6" starhopper and used it for the first time last night through a open southfacing sash window to view jupiter.

i have 32mm 25mm and 10mm eyepieces and a barlow.

when i used the 32 or 25 eypieces, it appeared as a small disc, but just white, and a bit shimmery. no surface detail, but moons were clear.

i was expecting to see cloud bands etc when i inserted the barlow, or used the 10mm eyepiece with or without barlow, but instead i just got a magnified, hazy version of the same white disc.

i then went back to 25mm and looked a bit longer, imagined i could faintly make out 2 central bands, inbetween shimmers, but they were quite indistinct.

i'm looking from an urban area btw, and there is a white streetlight nearby, so i know conditions aren't ideal.

would a filter help this situation, (if so which one?) or is it because jupiter is low in the south at the moment that it's hazy and indistinct.

in between shimmers, i did think i could see an orange hue towards top of disc, but again, nothing definate.

thanks

Its just to low this year to show much detail, I think things pick up in 2010... :)

Yes, totally right.

I think next year is better, i.e. Jupiter starts to rise out of the murk. But 2010 should be a good year for Jupiter.

thanks,

would love to go to chile but unfortunately stuck in south bedfordshire.

so a filter wouldn't even help this a bit?

I'm suprised that you are not seeing some surface detail through a 6 inch, even with Jupiter being so low at the moment. I was looking at Jupiter last night from my North Somerset location with my 80mm F/5 refractor and I could clearly make out the 2 main equatorial cloud belts with momentary suggestions of more detail as well.

My southern horizon is far from uncluttered - the above observation was made as Jupiter was visible for about 45 mins through a gap between my neighbours house and mine !.

I would try again another night - there might have been some local conditions obscuring the detail for you.

John

I managed to view Jupiter last night with the etx 90. I could see two bands at first but conditions changed in a few minutes and all I could see was a featureless disc.

I doubt a filter would help that much. At my latitude (58N), Jupiter is only 10 degrees above the horizon is is well and truly stuck in horizon gunk

are the 2 main cloud bands lying more or less horizontal at the moment? (ie: meaning the planets not on a tilt one way or 'tother) one on either side of the equator?

i think that's what i saw albeit very fleetingly, and it would be nice to know i wasn't just seeing the product of my wishful thinking!

Hello Mikey, the shimmering you are experiencing is air turbulance which will be exasperated by the fact that you are viewing through an open window. Air is rushing out from your warm room to a cooler environment. This will cause the image to drift in and out of focus thereby making it impossible to resolve detail. Try taking your scope outside and allowing it time to acclimatize, you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in your scopes performance.

Regards,

Jack Yee.

I was out with my 2nd hand Helios 6" (short tube job so not the world's best optical arrangement) last night (about 1.30am after leaving it 2 cool since about 10pm). Despite the sky not seeming totally clear to the South I managed to see a fair bit of banding and the redspot. No filters used so I agree you should be able to see more.

Most definitely needs to be cooled down - I tried one night straight from taking it outdoors and I could see pretty much as much through a cheap 20-60 x 60 spotting scope.

What sort of mount is it on? :) Dob of course...Silly - Leave it in though might be useful to someone! I used to have an awful time trying to focus at higher powers due to vibration (move focusser wait 10 seconds, nah, move focusser wait 10 seconds, nah worse, etc ,etc...) when I had en EQ3-2 on an aluminium tripod. So much so that I first built a battery powered focusser and then upgraded the mount to a CG5 with 2" steel tripod. Both made a dramatic difference (don't need the motor though now with the better mount).

yes, dob, but it was difficult to centre. the mount tends to move a fraction after i've set it unless the tension's just right. i had this problem again last night when viewing m13.

although, i have only had 2 goes on the scope so far, so i may have to mess with it to get used to it.

unfortunately out house faces south to the front, hence why i was doing through the open sash.

would feel a bit odd with the dob in the very small front area we have with people walking past on the street probably thinking i was trying to shoot down a plane from luton airport!

i figured cos it was summer, there might not be to much difference in outside/ inside temps, but i suppose as it gets late there is.

oh well. have to wait, or take it out somewhere.

I know the feeling we face E/W so until it passes N/S it's easier to view from the front.

I took the scope out the front the other night and felt very self conscious aside from almost being blinded by the street lamps!

As has been suggested, look from outside. Also make sure you are definitely in focus as this might be the reason for a featureless disk.

Filters are helpful for imaging but at the height Jupiter is right now, they won't make a discernible difference visually.

I managed to get a look at Jupiter on Sunday night. I was using my 80mm Sentinel and I got a reasonable view of it through the trees. At about 120x I could make out a white disk, with occasional pink/cream bands on it.

Still blew me away though. Last time I saw Jupiter was through my bins (and even then it was pretty impressive).

At least it's not as low in the sky as it was last year.

I live in a small close and have taken my scope out into the front garden I also felt a bit self consious then one of my neighbours was passing and asked if she could have a look through the scope now I dont have any probs going into the front garden.

One of the best things about astronomy for me, is showing other people different planets or galaxies. Often folks can be a bit dismissive, but show them Saturn or M1 and suddenly they've been 'converted'. I showed my mates mum Saturn and apparently she went on about it for weeks.

The issue I have with using my scope in public is that people might think I'm being a bit of a perv :oops:

Hi guys, it might be worth sending a note to your immediate neighbours just to acquaint them with your hobby and perhaps even invite them for a session or two. It will serve as good etiquette and may even help you overcome your shyness!

Jack.

Getting the neighbours involved is a great idea. Ours had apparently seen us setting up our kit on the patio a few times before we went to ask if their kids wanted to come for a look at Saturn. The whole family came for a peek, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now when they see these two loopy bods on the patio in the dark, they know exactly what we're up to!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jupiter at the moment, is only visible for about two to three hours after darkness, before it sinks below the horizon. For the best view, you need to catch it within the first hour, as when it stats to sink lower, you get all the atmospheric haze, which is why it looks rather featureless.

Summer skies are not the best time for viewing Jupiter, unless it is higher in the sky.

Geoff

Archived