Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tonight's first pass of the ISS (with C11)

Unexpected clear skies, and a brief window for using my own equipment instead of loan equipment came together to allow me to point my C11 Edge at the ISS tonight.

I'm using a mono DMK camera for this, and a red filter to cut down the glare from the main body of the ISS, it's mostly around mag - 3.4 or so. It's not easy to keep the thing centred and keep adjusting the gain and frame settings at the same time, and quite tricky to get the solar panels exposed enough to show, without blowing the body.

Nevertheless, i'm quite pleased with this single frame from the avi, as the ISS passed overhead at 68° or so. You can just pick out some of the aerials and so on, and the new BEAM module.

Thanks for looking

ISS-with-C11-0006.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That really is a terrific job Tim, and even though a top class Scope was used , an equatorial mount isn't need to track the ISS,
in fact it would be a more difficult task with an EQ mount. An ALT AZ would make the  task easier I'd venture to say.
I would hope others will be inspired by what you've done here, and    the station is resolvable with  lesser instruments that the C11.

Indeed Ron, if anything it is harder in the C11, keeping it tracked accurately at this focal length. I'm going to try tracking it manually in my dob when I get a chance.

Archived