How I did my eyepiece case

iPeace

DISCLAIMER: Some interest has been voiced in how I "did" my eyepiece case. As promised elsewhere in response to said interest, this post is to enlighten those who have said interest. If that is not you, then feel free to disregard and move on; I'll look forward to seeing you elsewhere.

FAQ

Q: Shouldn't you have rather...<whatever>

A: I'm sure I should have. I'll get right on it as soon as it floats to the top of my "to do" list.

Q: Aren't you worried that...<whatever>

A: No.

Still here? OK. Here goes.

Bottom half of case's foam serves as main bed. I've cut a bit of that green stuff - which is the thin but sturdy foam isolation matting you put under laminate flooring, we had some left in the attic / loft - to make a smooth start. Not entirely necessary.

ep_case_mod_001.JPG

Pick-and-pluck-and-destroy-beyond-any-usefulness-foam is then sawed out with sharp knife, leaving only the outline.

ep_case_mod_002.JPG

The 31 Nag "Panzerfaust" now has its place; you can see that the foam will never withstand its weight, especially when carrying the case by its handle. So we botch a sturdy cardboard tray which will keep things in place. This tray is the new home for the 6 regular non-SX Ethos eyepieces. A bit has been cut out for the 21 Ethos to rest its bulk in. The tray has been trimmed with duct tape and that wonderfully rubbery, stretchy electrical tape which sticks to everything and fits around and in corners, provided you are better at such jobs than I am. The tray also has cut-outs on the sides, so I can get my fingers around the eyepieces at either end.

ep_case_mod_003.JPG

The tray gets its own green carpeting. A surplus cheapo foam yoga mat donates bits for separators, each encased in tape. Shims of appropriate sizes are created by taping up foam; these shims are used to keep the shorter eyepieces from sliding up and down in their individual beds.

ep_case_mod_004.JPG

The space in the middle is for the Zoom Brothers; insert another layer of foam to raise them up a bit, and create a double bed for them with a separator.

ep_case_mod_005.JPG

Now, the Ethos SX need to fit in at the lower right. Space is tight, so we create a minimal cardboard frame, again wrapped in tape, which will support the surrounding foam and hold the eyepieces snugly in place. Insert some foam to raise them up, and provide more green carpeting.

ep_case_mod_006.JPG

I agree, it doesn't look as nice once you know how it's done, but squint at it and it's still passable...

ep_case_mod_007.JPG

These eyepieces do not slide around at all; they all hold each other in place separated by foam and cardboard. The lid of the case has its own foam which presses down on the eyepieces when closed, providing more security to hold them in place.

P.S. I'm sure I'll find a way to improve on this as I go along; although I suspect that if I want to do it nicer, I'll need a slightly bigger case...

P.P.S. Be sure to drop in a few silica gel sachets, you know, the ones that are always removed for publicity photos...

:happy11:

I love it. I am struggling for space in my case because I have tried to keep foam space between each EP and this could be the answer.

Thanks for the very helpful explanation :wink:

11 minutes ago, DRT said:

I love it. I am struggling for space in my case because I have tried to keep foam space between each EP and this could be the answer....

I've given up and have 3 cases now :rolleyes2:

35 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Yes, but yours are each sensibly sized; mine looks like I'm off to carry out a police action or blow open a safe.

:happy9:

I know how you feel. I have a full set of Ethi and a full set of Panoptics in one case. It weighs about the same as my 400P Dob :eek:

A very nice idea, I have to admit I thought it was some type of plastic tray. I am mixing concrete this morning now I wonder if I can do anything with that medium. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share.

Alan

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

A very nice idea, I have to admit I thought it was some type of plastic tray. I am mixing concrete this morning now I wonder if I can do anything with that medium. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share.

Alan

Please take note: I will not be liable for inspiring anyone to encase their eyepieces in concrete.

Very professional-looking job!

As my EP collection grew, I ended up with this case.  It's a just a nice black card box from Wilko's (£2.50) with various pieces of bubblewrap as EP separators.  The larger separators are lengths of thin card, folded and stapled as T-sections for flexibility.

Granted, you can't carry it as you would a briefcase - you have to carry it flat to avoid unwanted movement - but it's fine for getting my EPs and filters between house and shed.

Doug.

PS: @Moonshane - can you spot your old Nd filter case in there?

P1040876.JPG

1 minute ago, Highburymark said:

How could I have misspelled the name of such a legend?

Apologies to everyone on SGL who is not familiar with British children's television from the 1970s.

I had to look it up myself...

Archived