SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I need help choosing an eyepiece for my Orion XT6

Hey guys,

I recently purchased the Orion XT6 and I've been very pleased thus far. I've been using a 25mm eyepiece, and was slightly disappointed. I'm very new and didn't realize all the technical stuff about eyepieces. I'm very much into viewing things like the planets, not as much deep space. (Jupiter and Saturn especially) So, that being said, should I get a 10mm, a x2 Barlow or should I just get something else? I'm really looking forward to seeing your suggestions! (If you have any photos of Jupiter or the planets using one of the eyepieces with no added zoom from the camera, etc that would also be great) 

cheers,

Tom

For that budget, most folks recommend the Astro Tech Paradigm Dual ED / Agena Starguider Dual ED for $60 each.  Keeping them in stock appears to be an issue, though.  They have a well corrected 60 degree field of view and 16mm of eye relief.  Another well regarded option is the Celestron X-Cel LX for $65 each with similar specs, but a different internal design.  Lastly, there's the Meade HD-60 for $75 each which is purportedly the same internally as the Celestron, but many folks prefer the eyecup design.

Archived