NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Automating a 3 meter dome

Doctor2

Hi Everyone. I'm almost finished building a new dome and I have installed 12 volt motors / gear boxes to drive the dome. Now I am wanting to control the dome from my computer, so that the opening on the dome is always in line with the telescope. At this stage, thats all I want - I don't need the computer to open / close the shutter or to install a weather station or anything like that.

My question is, what would be the simplest / cheapest option to achieve syncronisation between the pointing of the dome and telescope? I was wondering about using a raspberry pi or something like that? I've never done anything like this before, so if anyone has an idea, I'd be really keen to hear it.

Thanks very much! 

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ross,

A late reply as I have only just seen your post. One popular and straightforward solution is to use LesveDomeNet software with a Velleman VM110N USB interface board. The LesveDomeNet software controls the Velleman board and you use relays, driven by the Velleman board to control your dome motors.

More details on  www.dppobservatory.net/DomeAutomation/DomeDriver.php

Good luck!

Regards, Hugh

Archived