SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thinking of a new scope.

Astrith

I am very happy with the Skywatcher 150P  Star Discovery reflector , however I would like to start imaging wider F.O.Vs for  DSOs ..., ( Primarily using the Lodestar XC 2 ) . I am thinking along the lines of the Skywatcher Evostar ED 80 Pro. Are there any other suggestions . Would prefer to stay under £ 800.00 . I am just trying to maximise my choices , with the learned folk on here.  Many thanks for reading.  Alan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do decide to go with the ed80 pro ,I would recommend the skywatcher ed80 0.85 focal reducer/flatner,I have both and the ed80 is a great scope and bats well above its price tag.

8 minutes ago, shirva said:

If you do decide to go with the ed80 pro ,I would recommend the skywatcher ed80 0.85 focal reducer/flatner,I have both and the ed80 is a great scope and bats well above its price tag.

Hi Shirva.

Actually just been reading your post on the ED 80 .  Could I get by without the reducer and flattener ...would it make a great difference . Not had experience of a refractor before . Cheers. Alan

6 minutes ago, Astrith said:

Hi Shirva.

Actually just been reading your post on the ED 80 .  Could I get by without the reducer and flattener ...would it make a great difference . Not had experience of a refractor before . Cheers. Alan

Astrith,

Reducer/Flattener is kind of necessary for DSO as 80ED comes with focal length of 600mm (F7.5) which is bit slow for DSO so 0.85 field flattener / focal reducer basically reduces the focal length and provides much improved field-edge correction.

Just now, Glimpse111 said:

Astrith,

Reducer/Flattener is kind of necessary for DSO as 80ED comes with focal length of 600mm (F7.5) which is bit slow for DSO so 0.85 field flattener / focal reducer basically reduces the focal length and provides much improved field-edge correction.

Many thanks for reply Glimpse111 .  Shall buy one. Just been looking at ED80 images on a thread here . Spectacular . ...Alan.

hi mate, i had the ed80 for over a year now, cracking little scope with great optics, i dont use a ff\ reducer, but it must be a advantage to have a nice flatfield. im happy how it performs without. goodluck and clear skys  charl. 

1 hour ago, DoctorD said:

Hi

I have an INED70 and am happy with its performance with my Lodestar-C when used with a 1.25" x0.5 reducer. 

Also makes a great wise field visual scope. 

HTH

Paul

Cheers Paul. Thats the re-assurance I was looking for . I have a far better idea now . Big thanks.  Alan.

This may be harder to get on your side of the pond, but fwiw I love my AstroTech ED72.  Only 420mm FL, really nice mechanically, very well corrected for an inexpensive doublet.  They are around $400 new, even cheaper if you can find a used one.  You should not need a flattener with any reasonable refracor when using a small sensor like the Lodestar.  Might be a different story with a DSLR or other large chip.

I have the a C80ED and AT72ED and like them both. For VA/EAA I prefer the faster AT72ED at f/6. I've only used it with the Astrotech x0.8 reducer/flattener for EA so far and even at f/4.8 its a nice 0.8º x 1º f.o.v. with the Lodestar. I've not tried it yet with the SX-825 but that would be 1.12º x 1.57º.

A variant of the AT72 is avilable in the UK as the Altair Astro Lightwave 72:

http://www.altairastro.com/lightwave-72mm-f6-ed-refractor-with-dual-speed-r-p-focuser-alu-case.html

This is also identical to the well respected William Optics Megrez 72 but with a different (and better) R&P focusser. At F6 is a bit faster than the ED80 and I have used a Celestron 0.63 reducer successfully with my Megrez 72 and Lodestar to bring it down to less than F4 which is pretty fast. 

Nice. I am going to order one of the 2" to SCT thread adapters to use the .63 and .33 SCT with my refractors. I finally found a Meade .33 Japan FR! I wasn't aware those could be used with refractors until last evening.... Your verifying the .63 works well with your ED72 give me a bit of hope the .33 may work. The AT72 would be at f/2, lol.

5 hours ago, aparker said:

This may be harder to get on your side of the pond, but fwiw I love my AstroTech ED72.  Only 420mm FL, really nice mechanically, very well corrected for an inexpensive doublet.  They are around $400 new, even cheaper if you can find a used one.  You should not need a flattener with any reasonable refracor when using a small sensor like the Lodestar.  Might be a different story with a DSLR or other large chip.

Thanks for reply. Will look it up . Alan.

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

http://www.altairastro.com/lightwave-72mm-f6-ed-refractor-with-dual-speed-r-p-focuser-alu-case.html

This is also identical to the well respected William Optics Megrez 72 but with a different (and better) R&P focusser. At F6 is a bit faster than the ED80 and I have used a Celestron 0.63 reducer successfully with my Megrez 72 and Lodestar to bring it down to less than F4 which is pretty fast. 

Cheers Rob . Looking on link now.

On May 13, 2016 at 17:19, RobertI said:

That does indeed look like exactly the same telescope as the AT72.

On 13 May 2016 at 23:50, Astrith said:

Thats a nice telescope . What are your Lodestar Images on this scope like Rob . Have you a link.

I am trying to track down some images....will post when I have done so!

11 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I am trying to track down some images....will post when I have done so!

Hello Rob .

I have ordered the 72 ED . Apart from the recommendations , I love the aesthetic appeal of it also . Looks nice shiny and slick.  Just trying to track down some tube rings for it.  Best regards  Alan.

4 hours ago, Astrith said:

Hello Rob .

I have ordered the 72 ED . Apart from the recommendations , I love the aesthetic appeal of it also . Looks nice shiny and slick.  Just trying to track down some tube rings for it.  Best regards  Alan.

Congratulations! I think you will be impressed by how solid and well put together the scope is.

Hi Alan

It looks like the 72ED comes with a dovetail mounting foot like the INED70 - this should be more than sufficient if you are only hanging a Lodestar off the back. 

You may need a finder - I use a red dot with my INED70 which does the job given the relatively short focal length. 

HTH

Paul

Great thread, I can only agree the ed80 is prefect for video astronomy,I bought the skywatcher reducer as I wanted to get a full moon in my shot and get a flatter image,im starting off in a different direction by using my dslr and backyard eos.got a bit of a first light on Saturday night and am delighted..one problem it is very greedy on memory,,I used 32gb in one session

IMG_20160504_191714.jpg

Archived