Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

9 May

I'd get my telegram from the King/Queen by then if I last that long :D  Funny thing is, the longer I live the more I like this planet, clouds and all, I guess I've become more philosophical :D

1 hour ago, Gina said:

I'd get my telegram from the King/Queen by then if I last that long :D  Funny thing is, the longer I live the more I like this planet, clouds and all, I guess I've become more philosophical :D

I only be 5 years away. lol

It's visible through breaks in the clouds here in Coventry. I'm going to have to get either a better focuser or a better scope for the next event. The star travel  102 is not the best for this sort of thing.

The sun is very much like the 2004 Venus transit, 1 sun spot almost in the middle of the sun.

I was using a 70mm travelscope and a Hershel Wedge. I could see it. I didnt see the AR (sunspots). Focusing was difficult because of the cloud. I was using an 8-24mm zoom (8mm setting to observe). Took me a couple of mins of scanning the Sun to find the dot mainly because i was looking at the 9 o clock position as posted online. My scope showed it in the 3 o clock position.

57 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I am using a ST 102 with a Herschel wedge and getting very good views. Perhaps it is the conditions where you are.

Yes, definitely the conditions where we are ... been raining most of the afternoon - been cloudy since 4am (at least!)

Glad some people are getting good views [really!], and been checking out the video feed (https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/269657-mercury-transit-live/) on occasion, but it's not the same. Also a lovely shot of it entering the transit against the backdrop of a prominence (https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/269666-transit-full-disc-ha/).

I think most of us who got some kind of view (and are maybe still getting a view) have done so through a layer of cloud. Its been hit and miss for most of us. Lots of great pics being posted. Cant wait to start seeing the vids of it either later tonight or tomorrow. 

Im glad i went out when i did about 12:30 and a bit later on, or else i wouldnt have seen anything.

I missed out on the transit of Venus, not practical for me being so close to the horizon and it was cloudy.  This time I had clear blue skies all day, and despite being at work I sneaked out with my 70x15 bins with freshly-made solar film filters to get a few minutes in between emails, also watched some of the esa broadcast.  When I got home it was time for the Lunt LS60, cracking views through that right down to the final moments of the transit, got quite a bit of heat haze off buildings by that time but just managed to see it go before the sun went down behind some trees.  Top show!  May or may not get to see the next full one, but there will be partials so it's not all bad.

Laudropb, there is nothing wrong with the optics, it's the focuser. It has horrible image shift and very hard to find a precise focus. It will most likely improve with a bit of tweaking.

I was using a full aperture home made Baader solar filter and a Baader continuum filter. I could see 2 sunspot groups and Mercury was a nice well defined black circle. It's just the focusing that was difficult. I was using a vixen 8-24mm zoom eyepiece that isn't parfocal so needed to fiddle about with the focuser more than normal.

Archived