Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Set yourself a task there Nick, that's a big list. 
Great discipline hunting down doubles, but very rewarding too.
Success is assured, but only with time. 

Good hunting.

Nick

Doubles and Hercules got me thinking M13 and all that. Are there any doubles in globular clusters? I have never heard of any...what about the closer globulars...can any be viewed visually?

Mark

23 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Nick

Doubles and Hercules got me thinking M13 and all that. Are there any doubles in globular clusters? I have never heard of any...what about the closer globulars...can any be viewed visually?

Mark

Not listed as a double, but SkySafari shows this interesting multiple in M80. No idea if it is clearly visible but worth a go?

PS Surely a globular counts as about 500,000 doubles? ??

image.png

image.png

Nice question about doubles in globulars Mark. My own observations have shown many binaries in open clusters. Perhaps as globulars have similar populations , being the only left overs from very ancient galactic collisions, they have not the star burst formation of newer open clusters. 

However , here's another list of unclassified binaries in Hercules,enough to keep the keen observer busy between trying for the fuzzy things !

Nick.

image.jpeg

On 02/05/2016 at 09:07, mdstuart said:

Nick

Mark

Neat list Nick. Thanks as always.

Mark, coincidently I viewed M92 last night and read an interesting note in Sky Safari. It says that M92 contains a W UMa eclipsing binary - one of only a few found in globs. It adds that close encounters are frequent in densely packed globs, disturbing any binary systems that may exist and destroying them. I should add I'm no expert - just repeating the notes I found.

Archived