Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two gas giants and a red rock

DRT

I have not pointed a telescope at the night sky for quite some time due to work and weather so the prospect of a clear night and my first chance to see Saturn and Mars for almost a year compelled me to stay up late.

I didn't appreciate quite how low in the sky Saturn and Mars are right now so had to wait until they reached a gap in the rooftops to take a peek. I set up the Altair 102 F11 with the Ethos 8mm and pointed it at the red shiny thing. It's amazing how easy it is to point a long scope at just the right place in the sky without a finder scope once you get the knack of it.

So there it was, a relatively large pink/red disk that looked like something viewed through a steamed-up window! The seeing was absolutely terrible and the mag was just to high. I dropped down to the E13mm and then the E17mm and still couldn't see any detail on the disk. Grrrr. I then panned left and down to get Saturn in view. Although still lacking detail this was a much more satisfying sight as the magnificence of those rings don't need magnification or crisp, clear seeing to impress. I then decided to try out my newly arrived Panoptic 15mm and was pleased to see that it was exactly as mushy as the Ethi, which should mean it is absolutely fine.

I then carried the tripod and scope to the far corner of the garden to get a quick peek at Jupiter just as it was setting over the roof of my house. The Pan 15mm was then able to show a bit more of its potential with the bigger disk and higher placement and I must say I was very pleased.

Not the best planetary session but given the lack of opportunity I have had plus the chance to give first light to my latest eyepiece I am a very happy boy :grin:

Glad you got a chance to observe Derek. Frustrating that the seeing didn't play ball but at least there were no clouds! We are going to be playing dodge the house/tree etc observing Saturn and Mars this year, and for a few to come I think!!

Nice report Derek and good to hear at least someone has clear sky, I don't know what I am most annoyed about at the moment, weather or the moles that are making a mess of my new seeded lawn, they have to go.

Mars is not too bad for me from here though I am yet to put a scope on it now it is brighter, I am hoping that I will see something when I do and I have the Mars filter to play with.

Alan

4 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Yep, the seeing here was really awful. There must be a lot of activity up there ! However the transparency was great , giving detail to galaxies and clusters,

Nick.

2 hours ago, knobby said:

Seeing was poor in Essex last night too, M13 was beautiful but Jupiter was a mush at over 80 x mag.

It didn't even occur to me to point it at any DSOs :sad:

Well done Derek, and we're all struggling with that low altitude of planets this spring. At least Jupiter is still nice and high to tide us over!  I suppose we had a lovely Venus late last year that never seemed to drop down low for the longest time. I look forward to seeing that one come back soon. 

Archived