NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Old Vixen Atlux 150 ED article from Astronomy Now in '92 and other old adverts.

t0nedude

All,

As above, after seeing Stu's post in 'Show us your Frac' and a picture of his Atlux Vixen ED150 it brought back memories of lusting after one back then.  This article was from the January '92 issue of AN, and was featured to celebrate the first UK owner of one of these imported beauties.  Thought everyone here might be interested.

See attachments, the first is a picture of the jammy new owner receiving one from Dudley Fuller of BC&F and the second is his review,  note in that review in mentions 'the thermal instability of fluorite in humid or constantly changing environments'  I think he fell for the scaremongering and rumour-mill of competitors. :icon_biggrin: I have never heard of any such issues of any fluorite refractor both past and present of any design from any manufacturer ever. Enjoy Stu, if you haven't seen them already...:headbang:

rsz_1img_20160425_162131.jpg

rsz_1rsz_2img_20160425_162230.jpg

This is another one for Stu (won't fit in one post - 1MB limit) this is an advert from BC&F from the back page of the same issue also mentioning the new Vixen refractor.  The second attachment is for any Tak owner (especially MikeDnight) of an old Takahashi advert from Nick of True Technology - this was in '95.  Enjoy:

rsz_1rsz_img_20160425_184939.jpg

rsz_img_20160425_162659.jpg

2 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Ah, those were the days. Dreams of owning a Meade 10" SCT, how little I knew then and how fortunate I did not have the money to throw away whilst learning!

Indeed, best to learn first then become bankrupt :headbang:

Those bring back memories - I think I've still got them somewhere in a box upstairs (the magazines not the scopes !).

I used to visit the BC&F showroom when I was in London on business in the late 1980's / early 1990's. Had some great chats to the folks there but couldn't afford much in the way of their gear back then.

Thanks for those Tony. I did have a copy of the review but hadn't seen the first article.

Unfortunately I no longer have the Vixen, it had to move on for financial reasons. It is a great scope though. Nice memories ??

That's scared Tony. I remember lusting over that very same scope in that very same article. It seems like only yesterday! ?

Sadly,  gone are the days when brochures were sent out to prospective buyers. I've spent many a happy hour heavy  breathing over catalogues and brochures, and those sent out by True Technology gave me some sleepless nights. Here are a couple!

Mike ?

2016-04-26 12.25.44.jpg

2016-04-26 12.24.44.jpg

2016-04-26 12.23.00.jpg

2016-04-26 12.18.55.jpg

2016-04-26 12.20.11.jpg

2016-04-26 12.20.58.jpg

I  don't have any old brochures, but just to say that I am now the proud owner of the Vixen.

From the use that i've had so far I can confirm that it is a great scope. I'm really looking forward to more clear skies and good seeing

1 (7).jpg

Shaun (and Tich)  - I haven't forgotten. The weather has been a bit iffy and clear spells unpredictable. It also seems (as confirmed in another thread) that the seeing has been (mainly) poor when it is clear. But when we get some predictable clear weather I will invite you over, never fear. 

As were looking at inspirational advertisements I thought you'd like to see these blasts from the past. Note the prices for the times as well as the 1950s version of Legs & Co. A wonderful time when Newts looked like Newt's should and frac's looked like a real mans telescope, and cats were little furry things that caught mice.

Mike :happy7:

2016-04-27 14.32.53.jpg

2016-04-27 14.33.48.jpg

2016-04-27 14.34.20.jpg

2016-04-27 14.35.50.jpg

2016-04-27 14.36.46.jpg

2016-04-27 14.38.04.jpg

2016-04-27 14.38.50.jpg

2016-04-27 14.39.29.jpg

• 2 months later...

Fantastic thread! I love looking over old ads and reviews. That Unitron advert from the 1953 Sky & Telescope magazine really reinforces how good we have it now. That 6" refractor (on a mount admittedly) inflation adjusted would be around $45,000!!

I remember seeing these and similar adverts in my dad's old magazines when I was still in primary school, I remember clearly sitting and asking my dad which is the best one and his reply was always "the next one they bring out" :) 

Jon.

As an 11 year old at Norwich Astronomical Society's observatory on Daniel's Rd in the late 60's I used to spend cloudy nights drooling and wondering if ever I could buy anyone of the scopes advertised in the SAN and Astronomy magazines.....great thread. 

Archived