Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser woes

Right I was out the other night and after all these years I got so annoyed with the wobbly slack focuser on the SW Explorer 150PL that I really wanted to snap it off and throw it over the wall.
This got me thinking, I do love the 150PL and I've done a lot to it like flocking, Bob's knobs and blacking the edges of the secondary and I'd like to keep it but that brings a few thoughts up. Should I just bite the bullet and find a new focuser? I do try to do something a few years ago and got a TS baseplate but ran out of funds before I got an actual focuser.
Or do I just go "meh" and just get an upgrade OTA?

I wouldn't mind imaging quite seriously in the future which is another bundle of questions but the dismal focuser stands in the way.

I'd be looking for a replacement focuser - a Crayford design. I assume the focuser on the 150P is 1.25"? If so, your choices are limited, but a 1.25" Crayford should be findable.

One example, from over here, should be available over there:

http://agenaastro.com/gso-1-25-reflector-crayford-focuser-single-speed.html

These GSO Crayford's are very nice.

Happy hunting,

Dave

As you get on well with the 150 I suggest keeping it and getting a focuser upgrade. Reason is you seem to like the scope and that means you will use it more. Not saying an 8"/10" will not get used but maybe not as much. Have seen several that went bigger then sold everything soon afterwards.

You could get brave and take the focuser apart, clean and reset everything - assumes that you end up with a working focuser and not a pile of bits (<--my problem). Try this for initial information: http://polluxchung.com/gso_crayford_fix/index.html

I would most likely upgrade then take the old one apart.

You could opt I suppose for a TS/GSO 2 speed focuser just to have something that is functionally better.

Cheers guys.

I've already had it to bits in the past to paint the outside of it's tube it did make it a little better but there's just so much movement in it. I do get on with it but not because of the size, it sits on an eq6 all the time so bulk isn't an issue and I don't go anywhere past the garden gate with it.

I'll look into getting that GSO focuser. The issue with the PL is that the secondary isn't conducive to a 2" focuser

Yes, the 15PL has a very different focuser to the standard 150P, the tension adjustment is a sprung plate on the bottom with four screws and the main fit adjustment being two grub screws on the top which adjust the sitting of a plastic brake plate that the tightening knob pressed. It's just guff.

I'm kind of leaning towards getting a motor focuser and just tightening everything up.

I would have suggested a 2" GSO, but I'm aware this would require some 'major-surgery' and a refit of the secondary. So I didn't. These 150mm Newts are making a come-back over here. Aperture-fever aside, the 150's are very capable scopes quite capable of providing excellent views. They used to be the most popular telescope's over here. So I wouldn't hesitate to throw-in on a Crayford for these.

Enjoy!

Dave

Archived