Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 25 May 2017 - Chuffed with this one!

This is the result of my first go at using 16-bit RAW mode instead of 8 on the ASI 120MC, with a 3X barlow on my 150PL, then resampled 2x.

I realise this is actually just 12 bits, it also limits the capture rate to about 15 fps on my awful lappie (I was using full screen resolution, but I think I may have the confidence to crop in future).

Seeing was very steady, bahtinov mask said focus was dead on. This was the first 60-second capture, put through PIPP, AS!2 and Registax.

Though I say it myself, I think this is getting close to the limit for what the 150PL can deliver, such a shame that no Red Spot and the quadruple moon and shadow transit will be after Jupiter sets :-(

592761bb647c7_Jupiter25Mayfirstminute.thumb.png.8449d9b578cce5c3a7fe3527b7415783.png

Interesting to see... in theory I wouldn't have thought there would be much to be gained with the higher bit captures as there's not a huge dynamic range on jupiter. But anything that makes processing easier is definitely worth it.  I think I'll certainly try it out next chance I get.

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

I wouldn't have thought there would be much to be gained with the higher bit captures as there's not a huge dynamic range on jupiter.

Extra bit-depth is your friend when you have limited dynamic range as it allows more stretching, although it's easy to make jupiter look very unnatural with stretching.

Archived