NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Monster Hole In The Sun!! - Not Just an Ha treat.

Paul73

Thought that I would go all "Tabloid" with the title and remind those who don't have access to an Ha setup, that the monster sunspot is pretty special in white light too!!

I have just come in from a quick look and was enthralled by the sight. It really looks like the sun has been mortaly wounded. There is also a splattering of fine detail around the main spot. Really satisfying observing.

Paul

PS. I realise that the "Hole in the sun" statement is factually misleading. But that is what it looks like to my eye.

Paul, you are not alone in being unable view in Ha. I too am 'stuck' with white light views, but the active region is pretty spectacular even so as you say.

The seeing is pretty average and there is high haze around, but am still getting plenty of detail. I'm just grateful to have had the chance to see 'the monster'!!

Photobykev's Lyra Optic  stage 2 PST mod 110mm D-ERF  with BF-15 and lots of very nice CNC machined bits and pieces . I bought it of him...

I will probably set it up like this tonight... The NEQ-6 and 600/f4 were his as well... I bought it all as  a job lot...

Eclipse%20Setup.jpg

At last I've managed to 'bag' 2529! And all I've heard others rave about is true. It is truly a wondrous thing to behold. 

Deliberately chose to view in white light because I think this spot lends itself to that medium. Ve-e-ry hazy but scope is at the ready with Herschel wedge in place ready to grab any chance to peek again.

Well pleased, though, because I thought I was going to miss it, given the forecast for my area (pants!)

Right then; back off outside.

Just managed a quick look during my lunch break. Would have been nice to be out for longer than a few minutes! I've got little to compare it to, but it's impressive for sure. How often does something of this scale come along?

Just had another butcher's at this one. Still going strong but the heart shaped main hole is beginning to break apart. Super steady seeing. Hope that that stays for the night session!

Paul

Archived