SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Build A Model Solar System missing magazine problems

colin2007

Hi everyone,

I subscribed to build a model solar system orrery magazine last year . Despite receiving all the magazines and components I never got issue 4 for some reason.

I emailed the company and was told that it was out of stock and I will get it asap. The last email about this was in December 2015.

It is now April 2016 and I have still not got issue 4. I phoned them today and they told me it`s still out of stock  and they are not sure when they will be getting anymore in. My name is on the list and they said I will get this magazine eventually.

Have anybody else had this problem too because I am worried that I am spending out money on something that I will be unable to build.

• Like 1

Ahh yes that's the 65 tooth gear issue along with planet Mercury and it's arm, two grub screws, and a 6mm self tapping screw. It's literally completion of the first stage, and without it you're pretty scuppered to build the rest of it. I just checked what spares I have left and no issue 4 I'm afraid.

I gave a load of spares to a friend who was short of some bits - so I'll see if he has any issue 4 bits left over. The other place he sourced spares was on ebay - you might even find a whole model (or part of) being junked or sold off dirt cheap cos of shortages. It's probably a much cheaper way of getting one unless you want all the magazines to go with. The bits are all brass and can be nicely shined up and rebuilt.

I'll post back here once I've heard from my mate - there might be a very slim chance. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the pointers brantuk. I have already emailed the seller if he has got a spare issue and am waiting for a reply.

Eaglemoss have said that I will (eventually) get the missing issue but like you pointed out I can't even begin to build the orrery. :( 

Unfortunately my mate drew a blank as well - but I thought it was a long shot. If it's any consolation I did have to wait a few weeks when one of my issues was late when I built mine - but it wasn't such an early one as yours. They did always come through in the end - sometimes it's worth giving them a call to speed things up a bit.

It's fun to build though, and very satisfying when you finally switch on the finished product - even if it is a bit dear. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brantuk said:

Unfortunately my mate drew a blank as well - but I thought it was a long shot. If it's any consolation I did have to wait a few weeks when one of my issues was late when I built mine - but it wasn't such an early one as yours. They did always come through in the end - sometimes it's worth giving them a call to speed things up a bit.

It's fun to build though, and very satisfying when you finally switch on the finished product - even if it is a bit dear. :)

Thanks for your efforts brantuk. I have spoke to them and it looks like they will get me a copy. It`s just a question of when.

The seller on ebay has got back to me and also can`t help. He claims that issue 4 is one of the rarer magazines and is hard to get.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Me and my partner are missing issues 4,48,49. It's become a joke. We phoned them about 15 times now regarding missing issues. I have a box full of unopened parts that's been there over a year and we can't build it. I was missing issue 50 which I got today. 

To top things off they automatically have signed us up to the next part which we don't want and have told them that. They've took money out and have sent about 8 parts to something we don't want. 

If the missing issues don't come soon I'm going to look at getting my money back for the whole lot as it's useless as it is. 

Was so looking forward to building this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav and eve said:

Me and my partner are missing issues 4,48,49. It's become a joke. We phoned them about 15 times now regarding missing issues. I have a box full of unopened parts that's been there over a year and we can't build it. I was missing issue 50 which I got today. 

To top things off they automatically have signed us up to the next part which we don't want and have told them that. They've took money out and have sent about 8 parts to something we don't want. 

If the missing issues don't come soon I'm going to look at getting my money back for the whole lot as it's useless as it is. 

Was so looking forward to building this. 

I totally sympathise with you, I had an absolute nightmare with them and only received my last issue a couple of weeks ago. I`m afraid you have got to keep phoning them because they are not very forthcoming when it comes to sending out missing issues. We had so many magazines not being sent it became confusing in the end to what we had and what was missing because they were not being sent in the right order. We have told them not to expect any custom from us again and they acted surprised!

Also keep on at them to cancel the direct debit, again something they are not so willing to do. We had everything written down with dates of when we received the magazines and the numerous phone calls and we could always stop them in there tracks when they contradicted what was said on the last phone call.

Unfortunately back in June we wanted our money back because like you we were so unhappy with the service and we were told that we would not get back our entire money. I think they would only refund the 3 previous issues or something along those lines so that is why we continued to persevere with it.

If it makes you feel better do a google search and you will find numerous complaints about the company so at least you know your not the only one. 

Hi 

I sympathise with you all, I ordered mine with my local newsagent and today I finally part 40 after waiting 18 weeks, I have part built mine so I can finally get to finish it

• Like 1

On 28/10/2016 at 14:23, Gav and eve said:

Oh interesting.  I have been waiting months for issue 50 but have been getting told the usual 'out of stock' line. If you have just got yours then me thinks(another) phone call is in order! 

• Like 1

On 28 October 2016 at 17:49, gtis said:

Hi 

I sympathise with you all, I ordered mine with my local newsagent and today I finally part 40 after waiting 18 weeks, I have part built mine so I can finally get to finish it

Well I restarted the build today and I have come across another problem 

issue 41 is missing Pluto support arm ,can you kind people check your 

issue 41 for me to see if you have the support arm

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sounds to me like a small claims court form is in order. It's not a 'magazine' it's a model and by not supplying all the parts it is not fit for purpose. I think you'd either win or get your missing parts quick. Only costs around 30quid to put a claim in. No solicitor needed.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem, finally got most of the issues I was missing but I am still missing issue 98.  Each time I have complained they have sent issues I have already received, therefore if anyone is missing issues 94, 95, 96 and 97 I will be willing to post them to you. If anyone should have a spare issue 98 I would be grateful if you could send it to me.  Thanks.

There always seems to be problems with these Magazine sponsored projects.   
They are far from inexpensive  either, and not something I personally would invest in.
I sympathise with those who  are badly let down, but it is always going to be a risky undertaking.
Better to by a Boxed  Build If possible, it is more likely to contain all the parts required.

• 4 months later...
On 14/01/2018 at 13:27, Madmexican said:

I have been having the same problem, finally got most of the issues I was missing but I am still missing issue 98.  Each time I have complained they have sent issues I have already received, therefore if anyone is missing issues 94, 95, 96 and 97 I will be willing to post them to you. If anyone should have a spare issue 98 I would be grateful if you could send it to me.  Thanks.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and a bit late to this discussion but the only issue I'm missing is 97. Do you still have a copy? I'd be happy to pay plus postage.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am also new and am also missing issue 41. I called eaglemoss and they told me they will not be receiving any more stock and actually told me to try ebay. Ebay seems to have every issue EXCEPT issue 41....does anyone on here have a spare they are willing to part with?

• 2 months later...

I'm missing part 41 as well. I've spent so much money on this and all they keep saying is they are taking over the accounts and when they know, they will let me know. What if they never get it back in? Is that all that money down the drain?

• 9 months later...
On 15/01/2018 at 02:27, Madmexican said:

Do you still have a copy of 95? Would I be able to buy it from you?