Docter 12.5mm. Any Good?

Paul73

I was happily browsing ABS safe in the knowledge that there will be no accidentall purchases due to lack of Astro funds; when I spied a dealer advert for a Docter 12.5mm eyepiece at an eyewatering £534 !! The dealer seemed to think that this sum was competitive!

Has anyone ever given one a decent tryout?

Paul

I own this eyepiece and love it. The deepsky views are superb and it also is extremely sharp on lunar/planetary. It also shows no distortion to my pincushion sensitive eyes.

Am I allowed to say that it is sharper on axis than any black and green I've owned? To my eyes it is.

This eyepiece competes directly with my 10E for galaxy contrast etc and beats it handily for lunar/planetary sharpness on axis.Very low scatter too.

:hiding:

I can only echo what Gerry has said. It is like an ortho with an 84 degree afov. Very sharp, low scatter and lovely contrast. Mine tends to get less use than the Leica but that's mainly due to my location, the objects I observe from here and my current scopes. It is very sharp for white light solar observing and I should give it more use, so thanks for the reminder ??

That seems to be a resounding "yes" vote!

To rich for me at the moment too. Nice to see that the Green & Blacks / Pentaxes haven't got it all their own way.

Paul

PS. Gerry. I don't think that you are doing TV a disservice. I have a case full of them but am happy to admit that they aren't the be all and end all (admittedly it is a small case).

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Paul, I just like to report what I see and the freedom to do it.. I love my Ethos, the 17E and 21E are true hyperwide leaders.

Try using a Nikon HW Gerry, you will find there is very stiff competition :wink2:

It's interesting that eyepieces such as the XW's, the Leica ASPH zoom and the Docter 12.4mm, which were all, AFAIK, designed for spotting scopes, can take on and beat, albeit by a whisker, Tele Vue's best, which were designed by astronomers, for astronomers.

I think the Nikon NAV's were designed for astro use though ?

37 minutes ago, John said:

It's interesting that eyepieces such as the XW's, the Leica ASPH zoom and the Docter 12.4mm, which were all, AFAIK, designed for spotting scopes, can take on and beat, albeit by a whisker, Tele Vue's best, which were designed by astronomers, for astronomers.

I think the Nikon NAV's were designed for astro use though ?

Would have thought so john otherwise it would be one hell of a spotting scope to take them. ?

Archived