Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flash on Jupiter

jambouk

An interesting video clip taken from Austria of Jupiter on the 17th March showing a transient bright flash on one of the planets limbs, like a meteor impact:

I wonder if anyone else was imaging Jupiter that night and also captured it?

James

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is certainly curious, if it is an impact it would of been huge and most likely left some type of impact scar.

I would imagine we would of seen something by now. Could it be gravitational lensing perhaps?

Just now, JB80 said:

That is certainly curious, if it is an impact it would of been huge and most likely left some type of impact scar.

That's very true. I don't recall seeing any comments or images showing new impact scars...

I don't follow astro-news like a hawk, but yes, I'm surprised too; I had a quick look around SGL and couldn't see anything obvious but I might have missed a thread about it. I've forwarded the link to the Jupiter Section director of the BAA (again nothing on the BAA website of their forum), and to Alan Clitherow, Planetary Section Director of the SPA. I am sure others must have captured it, and yes, it must have been a very sizable object if it was an impact.

James

1 minute ago, Stu said:

That's very true. I don't recall seeing any comments or images showing new impact scars...

That's interesting. This happened 10 days ago, and Jupiter has near real time monitoring worldwide. Has anyone reported new features these days that could be linked to the event? On the other hand, it has happened before that impacts leave no scars. Interesting anyway!

Possibly, and potentially probably, but it would be nice to exclude a real impact, or better still confirm it as an impact. This is a science after all :)

I suspect many people take runs of video but don't inspect every frame, and I suspect this sort of flash would be easy to miss on a stacked image, or put down to artifact, so it is important we try and get people to look at their raw data files before they get deleted.

James

Yes, fascinating! I don't suppose that you would be able post a few frame captures of the event itself, as it's a bit difficult getting a handle on it when it is so transient? It does appear to have a developing structure. I expect I should be able to do it from the video, but I'm not sure I can save the video file from the link.

Ian

Edit. Ah, I've found a way to view individual frames

Ian, once you've done that would you be able to post it, as the close up sequence of events might be useful in determining a likely cause. It seems to evolve too much to be a single cosmic ray, but at the same time there appears to be a focus and intensity away from the planet after the event begins, as though the event originates within the planet, or the planet is "struck" from behind and the impactor skims the atmosphere travelling more towards us than away. I also wondered about a minor moon transiently flickering, and forming a light-arc between it and the planet, but I don't know how likely that is. It really would be useful if someone else had captured the event. Time will tell.

James

Just now, jambouk said:

Probably if it was big enough:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Shoemaker%E2%80%93Levy_9

ok, fair point, the flash would have been from hitting the planets weather systems rather than the planet itself, so would that not have just "healed" as it were, for want of a better expression...

great find though  I am sure will create loads of debate

Bill

2 minutes ago, jambouk said:

Ian, once you've done that would you be able to post it, as the close up sequence of events might be useful in determining a likely cause.

Well, I can view the sequence by stopping the video and inching the progress bar along. Not so easy to capture the frame though, or so it seems to me. The only way I know I can do it is by doing a screen capture and pasting into Paint and saving the file. That'll take some time, unless someone has an easier way.

Ian

Ian, it does seem odd to be that the extra-planetary light comes to a focus, as though it is emerging from the atmosphere rather than sinking in to it, which I why I wonder if it could be a moon.

Archived