NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Olly told me to bolt my guide scope down.

Hi

I have had the privilege of visiting Olly Penrice at his place in Les Granges (http://www.sunstarfrance.com/index.php?page=/en/astronomy.htm) twice now. I won't mention the food - as thinking of it just makes my shirt get wet from all the drool!

I took my own kit. Olly suggested that I stop mucking about with adjustable gizmos for my guide scope and as he put it "just bolt it down".

So I have finally found someone who makes 87mm tube rings (http://www.primalucelab.com/) for my WO 72mm Megrez guide scope - and have indeed "bolted it down"

I don't think the words "differential flexure" are going to feature too high on my list of things that might be causing poor guiding.

Thanks Olly! As ever - great advice. I can't wait for another visit. I have a bib now - so the drooling over the food should not be such an issue!

Love to Monique!

Tube Rings 001.JPG

Cheers!

Ian

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Yep. Makes sense. Belt and braces. Nice looking set up. What's the camera looking object on top of the guide scope? .... And the dial on the side ... thermometer? 

Thats a Celestron Starsense.

13 minutes ago, Singlin said:

how do you lign up the guide scope with the imaging scope?

Don't think it matters if it's not quite lined up, I did spend a while shimming mine with strips of fizzy drink cans, bit OCD maybe.

Dave

3 hours ago, Singlin said:

how do you lign up the guide scope with the imaging scope?

Why would you do that? Adjustable guide scope rings were invented to allow you to move the guidescope away from tha axis of the main scope in order to find a guide star. This goes back to the days on insensitive guide cameras like the original ST4, and to visual guiding. More recently the idea has appeared that adjustable guide rings are there to allow you to get your guidescope on axis. This is the precise opposite of what they were designed to do. With good PA your guidescope does not need to be on axis. Mine aren't.

Olly

What Olly said. It doesn't need to be aligned. It just needs to be rigid.

And yes - that is a Star Sense. It works a treat - and gets me close enough to a target so I can use Maxim and Plate Solving to get the rest of the way. I would love to have a funky mount like a 10 Micron or similar - but I don't. So the Star Sense means for me that I just let it do it's stuff for 5 minutes running it's Auto Align routine - and then I am good to go.

I used to hate doing 3 point aligns. Now - I don't have to do them. Bliss!

Cheers.

Ian

That's what I thought too, but some fellow over here told me otherwise hence my question.

I have bolted mine down too and with my ed 80 as a guide scope I get plenty of stars in view.

One design feature I would like to see improved is a descent and robust form of adjusting cone error .

On my losmany plate the two flimsy bolts are not up to the task.

Archived