Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old friends - M81 and M82

MartinB

Went back to this pair earlier this month and captured about 10 hours of data in 10min subs using an MN190 and an SX M26 OSC with an IDAS filter

Captured calibrated and combined with Maxim and processed in PS.  I dug out some old but previously unused M82 Ha data taken with my 10" LX 200 ACF and plonked that on top.  I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

M81 and M82 OSC .jpg

Really nice Martin! Very clear dust lanes and H emission regions in M81 as well.

Have been working on these two myself of late - for the one or two reasonably clear nights we've had this year so far - I also use a OSC camera. Really useful for these short spells of cloud-free viewing!

That's great, Martin. The Cigar is particularly fine. Smokin' even. (Sorry.)

Out of interest, how much of the Ha did the colour image alone capture? When Yves and I did it in LRGB we found remarkably little evidence of the jets and needed the Ha for sure.

Olly

Thanks Chris.

On 26/03/2016 at 08:30, ollypenrice said:

That's great, Martin. The Cigar is particularly fine. Smokin' even. (Sorry.)

Out of interest, how much of the Ha did the colour image alone capture? When Yves and I did it in LRGB we found remarkably little evidence of the jets and needed the Ha for sure.

Olly

I'll post a version of m82 using osc when I get home later today Olly.

10 hours ago, MartinB said:

I'll post a version of m82 using osc when I get home later today Olly.

2 crops of M82 one with a simple  stretch and non selective contrast enhancement and another with more processing trying to tease out the Ha.  Sorry about the different orientations

M82 Ha processed.jpg

M82 OSC crop.jpg

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Thanks Martin. I think you really do need an Ha layer for the jets. This is what we found, too.

Olly

Definitely, I had some old Ha data stuffed away from an SGL star party when, surprise surprise, my active optics was playing up. 

Archived