NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What a view... (June 10th)

Starman

Cracking image Pete,

I'm loving the quality and quantity of amazing solar pics that get posted on here. The only downside is that I really want one of those Solarscopes, but have many many other things emptying my wallet for the foreseeable future :D

Thanks for sharing,

Ian

Thanks for the comments.

Trevor: The double-stack works by emptying your wallet at twice the normal rate. It's effectively two etalons in series. Oh heck, now you're going to ask me more questions! Ok, here goes...

An air-spaced etalon like the kind used in the SF-70 uses two optically flat plates held in parallel to one another. So you have plate, air-gap, plate. The inner surfaces of this air sandwich are polished to a high optical flatness (1/100th of a wavelength in the case of the SF-70) and coated so that they are semi transparent. Light enters the filter through an energy rejection filter (ERF) which strips out the UV and IR components. What's left passes into the etalon where it bounces back and forth between the inner surfaces of the etalon plates. As these surfaces are so accurately figured, the wavelengths align and some destructively interfere while others constructively interfere. The latter reach a sufficient intensity to be able to escape their semi transparent cage. The former don't. The result is a series of wavelength peaks being passed by the etalon, one of which, if the filter is designed correctly is centered on the h-alpha wavelength. The quality of the etalon determines how narrow the peak is and the narrower the peak, the higher the contrast of the surface detail seen will be. Unfortunately a narrow peak also lowers the intensity of the peak so that it appears dimmer the narrower the peak becomes. You can imagine the output of the etalon as appearing as a number of wavelength spikes, something which gives it the title of a "comb" filter. Futher down the optical path (at the eyepiece end) is a blocking filter. This removes all of the unwanted peaks leaving just the h-alpha one to pass through.

In the case of the single stacked SF-70, the peak (FWHM) is 0.7 Angstroms wide. The use of a second etalon allows you to further reduce the width of this peak (in this case to 0.5 Angstroms) which means a higher contrast on surface detail. The downside of a double-stack system is that prominences often appear dimmer.

Archived