NEW 12" Revelation Dob - modifications and first light

I attended Astrofest in early February and saw that the 12” Revelation Dobsonian was on special offer at the Telescope House stand for £499 to include delivery. About 15 months ago I sold my Skywatcher 10” Flextube and replaced it with an Orion VX8 Newt which is excellent. However, because I have a dark East to West horizon I felt that I needed a bit more light grasp so I placed an order for the 12” Dob.

The scope arrived very quickly and came in two boxes – the OTA weighed about 20kgs and the base around 18.7kgs. There was no instructions inside but I quickly erected the mount. The OTA was badly out of collimation but I sorted that with a Cheshire.

I have made several modifications to the scope as follows -

Testing the scope – light light

The balancing system on this Dob works very well so you adjust the bracket to allow perfect balance whatever equipment you have at the front. I am still not certain about the 'lazy susan' because the scope spins a bit when you replace Eyepieces. I need to find a braking system to hold the scope in place.

I now use Explore Scientific 82º Eyepieces and they give a reasonable sharp and good contrast view across most the FOV.

I have used the scope a few times and I am very pleased with the outcome especially as I have now seen the Sirius 'Pup' for the first time.

In conclusion I have spent approx £100 on all the modification so to have a NEW 12” scope for about £600 is quite a good deal.

dob.a.jpg

dob.b.jpg

dob.c.jpg

dob.d.jpg

dob.e.jpg

dob.f.jpg

dob.g.jpg

Super looking scope Mark and sensibly modded now too :icon_biggrin:

The weight is the only thing that would put me off a chinese 12" dob I think - it sounds like the Revelation 12 is very similar in weight to my old Lightbridge 12.

With the wheels on it plus the scope cover you have the moveability and protection issues covered as well though.

You must have got a good one then ,my mate Clive as the same scope,and ep you mention and you I would have said 60% of the fov was OK the rest was bloated stars  ,I will show him this post later tonight when we view 

he also,had to make many mods to bring this up to scratch 

pat

Archived