NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 100ED Mount for visual observing

bomberbaz

Actually its quite simple. I want an AZ mount for the above and looking for what anyone uses for there own ota of a similar size/weight.

I thought a AZ4 (aluminium tripod) but will consider other options although EQ is not wanted.

NOTE I forget to mention my ep collection uses a powermate so that's something to consider

I reckon the stainless steel tripods are more stable Steve, particularly the 2" jobbies.

I would consider a mini Ercole mount from TS. I use the Giro-WR which is its little brother and is fine for my shorter Tak.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Azimutale-Montierung-fuer-Instumente-bis-9-kg.html

My 100ED sits nicely on a AZ4, it works very well (I've got the steel legged one, though I swapped it with the 1.75" tripod from my HEQ5), though fine adjustment capability would be nice to have.  The only pain (in the neck) is that I really need to get a 16" extension tube to raise it up.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

I reckon the stainless steel tripods are more stable Steve, particularly the 2" jobbies.

I would consider a mini Ercole mount from TS. I use the Giro-WR which is its little brother and is fine for my shorter Tak.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8256_Giro-Ercole-Mini-Azimutale-Montierung-fuer-Instumente-bis-9-kg.html

Can you post a picture up of your mount if its not too much to ask please stu buddy

5 minutes ago, Joseki said:

My 100ED sits nicely on a AZ4, it works very well (I've got the steel legged one, though I swapped it with the 1.75" tripod from my HEQ5), though fine adjustment capability would be nice to have.  The only pain (in the neck) is that I really need to get a 16" extension tube to raise it up.

Like wise John,  a picture would be nice especially something to help show scale seing as you say an ext tube would be useful. Do you use straight through or with a diagonal?

13 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Like wise John,  a picture would be nice especially something to help show scale seing as you say an ext tube would be useful. Do you use straight through or with a diagonal?

Hi, I'm not sure I have a photo of it already taken (though I can take one if it'd be handy) but there are a few photos of that combination out there.

This thread (below) shows an 100ed on a Az4 with the extension.  It's hard to get a photo of why it's useful to have the extension tube but after using it for a while I do start to get uncomfortable - back ache, etc.  It's my hope that the extension tube will help (as mentioned in the third post in that thread).  I use a diagonal and generally prefer to stand up.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/149053-ed100-v-tal100rs/

Another way to solve the height issue would be to use a chair I guess.

8 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Can you post a picture up of your mount if its not too much to ask please stu buddy

Here you go Steve. I often use it with a home made pillar extension which does make life easier on the back, and avoids any contact (or even just awkwardness) with the tripod.

As you can see from the first image in particular, they will take a lot of weight. That was a TV85, a 105mm triplet Apo and a 60mm Tak all with accessories! The key thing to stability is the tripod, and the 2" steel ones take some beating.

Balance is important with these giro mounts. Side to side balance either with equal scopes or a counterweight, and front to back too so they stay where you point them. Very simple to use, although if you want slo mo controls then perhaps a Porta II or even a SkyTee 2 is a consideration. I've not used a SkyTee and personally never get on with slo mos and alt az mounts as you have to constantly adjust both axes. On an EQ where you only adjust one axis to keep the target in view it makes more sense to me. Just my personal little foible that's all ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Here you go Steve. I often use it with a home made pillar extension which does make life easier on the back, and avoids any contact (or even just awkwardness) with the tripod.imageproxy.php?img=&key=bdf8b2134cef9d8b

As you can see from the first image in particular, they will take a lot of weight. That was a TV85, a 105mm triplet Apo and a 60mm Tak all with accessories! The key thing to stability is the tripod, and the 2" steel ones take some beating.

Balance is important with these giro mounts. Side to side balance either with equal scopes or a counterweight, and front to back too so they stay where you point them. Very simple to use, although if you want slo mo controls then perhaps a Porta II or even a SkyTee 2 is a consideration. I've not used a SkyTee and personally never get on with slo mos and alt az mounts as you have to constantly adjust both axes. On an EQ where you only adjust one axis to keep the target in view it makes more sense to me. Just my personal little foible that's all ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks very nice and stable stu although not sure if its more than I am thinking of, next thing you know I would be looking at even more ota's, :icon_biggrin: Can't help but think the 100ED and a nice 102 mak or similar would go well together on that set up :grin:

Understood, just don't forget these at at the more complex end of the set ups possible with it! The mount weighs under a kilo but holds up to 9kg and can go on whichever tripod makes sense. You can generally pick up an EQ6 or equivalent tripod for around £60 used when people upgrade to piers.

Not sure how much the 100ED weighs, I can't find a consistent weight for it including rings etc. I guess the length will be just as significant though. Given that you are looking at using this for high power, having something stable and that damps vibrations down quickly is important. Trying to tweak focus with a wobbly mount is hopeless!

An AZ4 is probably a simpler solution though. I've never used one but many people rate them highly.

I habe to say that the porta II mount also looks very nice although quite a bit more dosh, no rush as need to clear space before I can get one anyway. So I will not bother with the Az4 alloy legs although I might go for the steel legs version. There is the porta mount, sky tee and the  Ercole mount as well.

I have the Skytee2 with Pier extension and 1.75" tripod, it's not exactly what I would call grab and go with the F11 due to its weight, but it is solid as a rock at high mags..

I did have the AZ4 steel and that was much better weight wise, but not overly keen with Narrow FoV eps and an F11 at over 150x... you know what..  in fact, yes... I do miss my AZ4..

Apologies for the random murmurings..

Ta

Fozzie

Archived