Explore Scientific 24mm 68 degree EPs

cloudsweeper

If it's for your 127 Mak I reckon there might be very little or no difference in performance between the Maxvision and the ES. I bought a Maxvision 24 / 68 for use during outreach sessions and I've been pleasantly surprised how good it is in my scopes which vary from F/7.5 to F/5.3.

I have four Maxvisions (20..34mm). They are really fine eyepieces. I don't know if anyone still sells them though. They are rebranded Meade series 5000 SWA eyepieces.

The Argon does nothing for the image quality in the ES eyepieces. It's just a dry gas between the lenses. The ES 68¨ are fine too. Maybe a tad better than the Maxvisions. But you'll need a very discriminating eye to spot the difference!

6 hours ago, laudropb said:

I have the Maxvision 24mm and it's a good eye piece for the money, but I do not think you can buy them new now.

I was going for the Argon one, but the price of £89 I saw has gone up to £98, and some places are asking £121.  That's why I then thought about the Maxvision.  I have found two suppliers who list it at £69, but say Check stock, so I'll try that later.

Well that's that then - the suppliers who are listing the Maxvision 24mm are in fact out of stock.  There are still a few about at other focal lengths however.  

There is one of the original Meade 5000 SWA 68 deg 24mm EPs on Ebay, starting at £49.  There are also of course some ES ones which I'm looking at.  

I am edging towards the ES (if I can get one at a reasonable price) purely because it looks nicer!

Thanks to everyone for the input which I appreciate greatly.

Doug.

I've had both versions and currently have the ES version. Optically I couldn't see any difference. However, I prefer the ES because:

1.The argon purging is optically irrelevant but it means the eyepiece is sealed against ingress of moisture and thus, importantly, dust.

2. The general build looks better, more like Tele Vue.

3. I prefer the folding eyecup of the ES to the rotating eyecup of the MV..the ES keeps stray light out better IMO.

4. I think its much nicer to look at! That display unit is a bargain, go for it!! 

Good luck:-)

Dave

From memory the ES68 24mm used to be 119 pounds last year, then breifly went down to about 90, then back up somewhere in the middle. 

At 75 Euro's I'd grab the above ex-display model pretty sharpish before it goes.

It's the older N2 model but it doesn't matter which gas it has in it.

Including postage that's about 66 quid to your door :)

53 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

I've used the 34mm Maxvision in an F6 dob and it performs well, so in a Mak the 24mm should be great. I've been looking for one myself, but they seem to be out of production now, and out of stock wherever I've looked. :(

Yes, no-one has them now - even suppliers who list them don't actually have any in stock.  I found an original Meade version on Ebay starting at £49 - it finishes in just over an hour.  So I'm looking for an ES eyepiece at a good price.

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful input - advice, links, references.  As I was checking them out, I also noticed three ES 24/68s  on Ebay - one was described as recently bought, never used, still boxed up - so I bid on it and was delighted to get it at just £46.

Well it's just arrived - all safe and signed for - and it's pristine and beautiful.  A real bargain!  Can't wait to try it out!

Doug.

Archived