NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First very amateur attempt

Peco4321

Very crude 1st attempt at astrophotography simply using a canon ixus digital snap and go camera looking down a very old 3inch refractor. Now thinking of upgrading to a reflector telescope that I could attach my cannon DSLR to - any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thinking of:

Skywatcher Explorer-130M 130mm

image.jpeg

That's a great start into astro imaging - I wouldn't be disappointed at all. :)

The 130PDS is regarded as an imaging newtonian - or in refractors the ED80 is a popular wide field imaging first scope - both will take your dslr. If you wanted to start with only planets and moon then a long focal length refractor, mak, or sct are all good options - best camera is a webcam for those. It would be good advice to get a copy of Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards - all you need to know about astro imaging in an easy to read and understand format. Hth :)

As above, the 130pds is the one you want for imaging. Refractors and reflectors come with their own advantages and disadvantages so have a good read around on here to get an idea. There is a whole thread devoted to the wonders of the 130pds.

Lovely moonshot by the way! Out tonight for the first time looking at the moon in ages....

Hi,

I think you're probably thinking of getting the same telescope as I've got. Just a quick thought, the 130M can't really bring DSLRs into focus. I haven't had any experience of the 130pds that people talk about, but it is a different telescope--it has a shorter focal length, and different shape of mirror.

John

Thanks for all the replies. As ever budget is the main concern and I've not even cleared it with my wife!  Anyway would really like to keep the whole kit including tripod and mount to around £200. I know this really limits things and may not be able to get my Cannon focused maybe just attach my little camera. 

Archived