NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stainless steel counterweights

Stu

I'm looking for some replacement stainless steel counterweights for my Giro-WR mount which has a standard (18mm?) Skywatcher counterweight shaft.

Most of these weights are very expensive, but I found these Meade ones for £29.99.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/meade-lx80-11-lb-stainless-steel-counterweight.html

Question is, does anyone know what the diameter of the hole is on these weights? I can't find the info anywhere.

Thanks!

Just now, Pig said:

I thought I had found it.... but it wasn't correct :happy11: the description says to fit the LX 80 ....... so one would think just + of 18mm,  they don't look like they are 25mm :happy11:

Oh, but confused now, thought Lee mentioned 25mm but you are right they don't look like it. More research needed, or a mail to TH on Monday.

I tend to agree with Chris, if these were stainless I imagine they would cost more as well, this is not much more than a normal iron weight. It's sad I have a white coated iron one in the barn you could have but alas it would cost as much to send as buy a new one.

I had this issue with the 10-Micron GM2000HPS that Baader supplied (via Ian King). IK lists a 12Kg as being made of stainless steel  - as does 10-Micron, but the ones listed and (apparently) supplied by Baader are actually nickel-plated. I asked IK to check and indeed the weights supplied by Baader with the mount ARE plated. At £148 each I decided to give them a miss ;-) I just checked and IK still lists them as being made of stainless steel even now http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_product.php?id=1370 . Anyway, I made a few SS weights a couple of years ago and sold all but what I actually needed, those I managed to adapt to the larger diameter counterweight shaft.

ChrisH

Archived