NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter on the 1st

Barv

Having no fresh data to play with since the 1st Jan I thought I would re-process some decent stuff. Thought I'd try a softer approach to the previous ones and am quite pleased with the result. (C14 Edge HD and ASI224 cam).

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome. :icon_biggrin:

Regards

Harvey

75.png

Very nice Harvey, you could try softening the edge with a bit more gamma reduction or even selecting the entire disk, contracting the selection by a few pixels or so, selecting inverse & applying a pixel or 2 of Gaussian Blur to do so - or both applications sensitively...but very nice! :) 

1 hour ago, mikeskor said:

A super image.  I've seen so many good images taken with the C14 I'm tempted to take the plunge and get one.

I would think very seriously before you do. What you want to image etc, etc, etc. I bought the Edge HD version and have had 2 years of frustration. Massive problems reaching thermal equilibrium here in the uk and I have to remove the secondary and install a fan for 3 hours every night before I use it! With what I know now I would get a decent Newtonian with top optics for planetary!

Regards

Harvey 

2 minutes ago, Barv said:

I would think very seriously before you do. What you want to image etc, etc, etc. I bought the Edge HD version and have had 2 years of frustration. Massive problems reaching thermal equilibrium here in the uk and I have to remove the secondary and install a fan for 3 hours every night before I use it! With what I know now I would get a decent Newtonian with top optics for planetary!

Regards

Harvey 

I had so much trouble getting my C14 Edge HD to reach thermal equilibrium that I went and bought a normal C14 2nd hand.  The normal C14 is easy to get thermally stable using a CAT cooler, the Edge HD was a complete pig to get thermally stable and I would avoid like the plague unless you want to spend time and money installing fans or other thermal control devices.

Cheers,
Chris

12 minutes ago, cgarry said:

I had so much trouble getting my C14 Edge HD to reach thermal equilibrium that I went and bought a normal C14 2nd hand.  The normal C14 is easy to get thermally stable using a CAT cooler, the Edge HD was a complete pig to get thermally stable and I would avoid like the plague unless you want to spend time and money installing fans or other thermal control devices.

Cheers,
Chris

Yeah I know you did Chris, I think we touched on this point once before. I have sorted mine and it is now spot on. There is a tailor made solution now available in the US but the secondary has to be removed and a fan dropped in. This worried me immensely at first but now I find that if all 3 collimation screws are wound in quite tightly, - the secondary can in fact be removed and replaced keeping perfect alignment. If you want to know more just pm me.

Kind regards

Harvey

Archived