Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder Scope

For those of you that read my earlier thread where FLO had delivered me a scope 3x more expensive than that i ordered, well i returned it to them and they gave me a £25 voucher as a thanks for honesty. (thanks FLO :))

I thought i may put this towards a finder scope as if the red dot finder that will come with my skywatcher 150p is anything like the one on a skywatcher heritage 130p I used then it will be rubbish.

There are a couple on FLO website that are close to the £25 mark, just looking for any feedback or advice on which to go for? 

Capture.PNG

I've owned the earlier version of the Baader Skysurfer III and it was a very nice red dot type finder. The "dot" was smaller and sharper than others I've used, the aperture of the screen rather larger and the long dewshield at the front end kept the dew off the screen rather well. I'm thinking of getting one of the new versions and I notice it handles solar finding now and has some more mounting base options.

I've not used the Celestron one.

I'd also consider a Rigel Quikfinder as an alternative which is just a little more expensive. You could run that alongside an optical finder which gives more finding options.

3 minutes ago, aeajr said:

I don't know a lot but i think that for the price those are the best two finders bar none.

37 minutes ago, aeajr said:

I do like the look of the Skywatcher 9x50

shame FLO didn't give me a little more! :)

56 minutes ago, aeajr said:

I do like the look of the Skywatcher 9x50

shame FLO didn't give me a little more! :)

This works best for me: with a red dot finders you should keep both eyes open. One eye looks through the finder and the other looks past it at the stars. This takes a little practice, but helps me avoid focussing on the finder and increases the visibility of the stars. The red dot still needs to be dim enough though.

For star alignment of my GoTo I use the metal WO red dot finder (FLO has it for 69 pounds, it is quite durable), and for star hopping I have an 8x50 GSO RACI on my manual alt-az mounted refractor.

My WO finder is actually brandless, but it is the same and was cheaper. It has four pattens.

I now have 2 - GSO 8 X 50mm RACI's, and one each Antares and Orion RACI's, and one Meade 8 X 50mm straight-through. They all work about the same optically. The Meade is on my Meade 12" LX90 and I opted to keep that one as a straight-through as the LX90 stands tall enough to negate any value from swapping to a RACI. If I did swap to another RACI - it would be a GSO as these are the least money currently where I hang my hat.

My one experience with a red-dot finder ended like the Challanger-disaster of 1986 - it blew up on me. Glad there were no tiny astronauts strapped inside it.....

I may try a Telrad someday - if Slim Pickins rides one of my RACI's off to Valhalla.

Have fun -

Dave

strangelove.thumb.jpg.15b9fe887a413097c5

Archived