Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celstron StarPointer Pro - first impressions

Fozzie

I've been looking for a alternate red dot finder for a while, and I've been close on the baader sky surfer 3 a few times, I never punched the button, then I spotted the star pointer pro at FLO for just under £30. 

Temptation got the best of me and I punched the go button, and in usual FLO fashion, before I blinked I had a nice new box of goodies waiting for me at home.

The main priority was ease of use and light weight, also no sticking pads to the tube.  That said the finder is sub 200g, and fixes using a supplied base to a standard syntax dove tail.  Also in the pack are three alternate  fixings for various scope types. 

The 40mm window is clear and coated, which gives a multitude of rainbow effects as the light shines on it.

I should probably point out that I also have a Rigel QF, which I think is a stronger performer in the red dot finder as you can get.. most poles say either Telrad or Rigel so the reputation speaks for it self.  It's from using the Rigel that I've made most of my reasoning to the thoughts on the star pointer pro.

The instructions provided state that the finder was designed for astronomers by astronomers, which sets some expectations here, as noted before, most would pick a rigel or telrad..

On paper the operation and alignment of the finder is very simple, on/off section dial which also controls the brightness, alignment is made by two thumb screws for and aft that control the up/down left/right of the finder.  The reticule is projected from the rear of the unit on to the window.

In practice I found the alignment awkward, probably for a number of reasons, firstly I did this at night, although I've not had trouble with the rigel, and firstly there was a lot of play in the finder and it wasn't overly responsive either.

The instructions state to view from 1ft behind, straight through, this is probably the tricky bit, the reticule is visible from a wide area than straight through, and probably caused my frustrating alignment..  Eventually though, all was sorted and some use could be put through the finder.

Again though, noticed a second issue, the reticule projection is through a small plastic window etched with the pattern, however at the 7 o clock position, either the reticule pattern is incomplete or debris is in the way as the pattern falters.

On comparison with the rigel's 2deg and 1/2 deg circles I wold say, as no specs are published yet, that the star finder has roughly a 1.5 deg and 1/2 deg reticules, variable brightness comparable to that of the Rigel.

All in all the construction feels less stable than the Rigel, and it's a bit more cumbersome to use, but when all is sorted my feeling is that it will be a reasonable finder.  With good clarity through the window, I suspect that the coating is only antireflective and not any type of High transmission or LP suppression.

I would give the finder a 5 out of 10 if I'm honest.. there is no cover for the finder and it will get damaged in time, and no doubt scratched, which when considering the value against its competitor's is a bit of shame some thought wasn't put in to this side of the product.

Anyway, some pictures attached..

It will be useful as a travel finder but I wouldn't buy another one, Better off with A Rigel I suspect.

post-33699-0-45697000-1442747451_thumb.j

post-33699-0-31448900-1442747484_thumb.j

post-33699-0-49485500-1442747520_thumb.j

post-33699-0-16961800-1442747549_thumb.j

post-33699-0-81028400-1442747582_thumb.j

Thanks For reading,

Fozzie

The rigel.will be my rdf of choice, no doubt, but I'm going to get some more time with the celestron as I think there might be a good finder in there somewhere.. practice on viewing through is probably the key..

On another note, the product is a Star Spotter pro.. not star finder (could one of the mods please alter the title please!) Be a useful place to start to get product name right...

Ta

Fozzie

i got this today and did not have any of the problems you described its so much better than my rigel in every way,but these things are very personal choices,what 1 person likes another will not same as everythig astronomy related i guess

i got this today and did not have any of the problems you described its so much better than my rigel in every way,but these things are very personal choices,what 1 person likes another will not same as everythig astronomy related i guess

And what you are comparing it to... I would be very interested to know how it compares to the original Celestron red dot finder. In particular, how much easier is it to keep the red dot in view while aligning the scope?

And what you are comparing it to... I would be very interested to know how it compares to the original Celestron red dot finder. In particular, how much easier is it to keep the red dot in view while aligning the scope?

i am comparing it to my rigel quickfinder,starguider mutli reticle finder and my red dot finder.i find it so much easier to align because the viewing window is bigger i can even move my head side to side and can still see the reticles.

Hi Neil,

Glad you didn't experience the problems like I did, we can be a very individually particular lot can't we..

I have to say it was the weight and size of viewing window that made me go for it, I think my problem stemmed from the fact I could see the red reticule from quite far off centre, which made me doubt I was looking straight through.  Couple that with the adjustment of the "worm gears" I think if your not stationary or not sure your looking straight through it can throw you, especially in the dark.

That's one thing I've never had with the Rigel, is the reticule, for me anyway, can only be seen from straight through..

Couple that with the fact that the product and view window has little in the way of protection I think it is a so close but not quite there to being a decent bit of kit..  It'll still be used as a travel finder and im sure it will work very well for that, for me, in that purpose!

because the viewing window is bigger i can even move my head side to side and can still see the reticles.

(that's the bit that threw me, as I knew I wasn't looking straight through hence what was in the EP wasn't in the RDF..)

Thanks for sharing your views..

I would be very interested to know how it compares to the original Celestron red dot finder. In particular, how much easier is it to keep the red dot in view while aligning the scope?

If it's the one they attach to the astromaster series your referring to, then your in for a treat with one of these, because that thing was really poor!

Ta

Fozzie

Hi Neil,

Glad you didn't experience the problems like I did, we can be a very individually particular lot can't we..

I have to say it was the weight and size of viewing window that made me go for it, I think my problem stemmed from the fact I could see the red reticule from quite far off centre, which made me doubt I was looking straight through.  Couple that with the adjustment of the "worm gears" I think if your not stationary or not sure your looking straight through it can throw you, especially in the dark.

That's one thing I've never had with the Rigel, is the reticule, for me anyway, can only be seen from straight through..

Couple that with the fact that the product and view window has little in the way of protection I think it is a so close but not quite there to being a decent bit of kit..  It'll still be used as a travel finder and im sure it will work very well for that, for me, in that purpose!

(that's the bit that threw me, as I knew I wasn't looking straight through hence what was in the EP wasn't in the RDF..)

Thanks for sharing your views..

Fozzie

yes fozzie its what makes us so unique as humans likes,dislikes thats why i love this forum you get different points of view without malice so you can make your own mind up which you choose.i think i am getting ocd for finders,i know this will not be the last finder i buy as i now have my eyes on a illuminated raci finder :rolleyes:

Archived