Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dreaming of deloi

Piero

Interestingly, the Delos 6mm and 8mm weigh more than the Ethos of the same focal length. Strange but true !

The 21mm Ethos is a beast though - I was really surprised how much lighter the 17mm Ethos was.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:icon_biggrin: Looking through the "porthole" into vast space through a telescope is an exhilarating experience, nothing in the FOV but stars, galaxies and nebulae. I reach for the Ethos every time any of my telescopes are out.

I still want the 3.7mm Ethos to experience "flying over the moon" :hello:

You know John, I had thought about selling my 17E in order to buy a Nikon HW... but I just can't imagine the views getting any brighter or the stars any tighter.:smiley: It is light and superb.IMHO.

I know what you mean. But. I do like a nice wide field when mooching around taking in the view. If there is something to be studied, the mag goes up and the field comes in. That is where the Delos range comes in handy. Wouldn't want to go much less than 70° ish until we hit the planetary mags.

Paul

Okay, I had a deep look at that table.. 

The Delos 8mm is basically perfectly parfocal with all Nagler T6 except for the 13mm (which is anyway very close). This is a good thing as it allows me to compare approximatively where a Delos 14mm can reach focus on my TV60.

So, there shouldn't be any problem with that. I have a bit more than 1 inch (helical+coarse travels) when my Nagler 7mm is on. However, the helical focuser travel is about that 0.48 in.., meaning that in the "best case" the 14mm and 8mm reach focus right at the limits of the helical travel. In the worst case, the coarse focuser has to be shifted inward or outward.. I already experienced the last case with my previous 1.25" diagonal and it was annoying, particularly when pointing high. 

So parfocal rings seem the way to adjust this. This is easy for the Delos 8mm. The Pan 24mm has a much shorter barrel (0.8in)... I suspect that his is going to be tricky...:unsure:

p.s. just saw on flo, vixen slv 15, 5, 4, and 2.5 at £79. A such good eyepiece with great ergonomics at so low price..that's a bargain! 

15 hours ago, John said:

This thread has left me wanting to add the 10mm and 7mm XW's to the 5mm and 3.5mm that I already have. And I don't even need them really ........ they are just such nice eyepieces :undecided:

Has that Elf been round again? I haven't heard him for a while as it's too cold to sleep with windows open.

Okay, here an update! :)

After deep thoughts in the last few days, I decided to change the plan by replacing the 14mm with the 12mm. This is parfocal with the 8mm and the 24 Pan, works well on my TV60 and with the Bresser SA 2x it gives right 200x; with the PM it gives 250x. Although not a planetary OCD, it the future I might consider a 6mm too for avoiding focal extenders if these becomes uncomfortable to use.

The other thing is the future! As one day I will go for a Dob F5-ish, a 12mm f.l eyepiece gives an exit pupil of 2.5mm, an 8mm f.l. eyepiece gives 1.7mm. Two nice exit pupils covering most of DSO nicely. Depending on the focal length of this future scope, it might also be that the 6mm eyepiece won't even be so necessary.

For now, an advert here (and on abs) is posted for the 8mm. I cross my fingers it works well and that I feel comfortable with it. If so, I will add a new post for the 12mm and start selling my Naglers. First time I am selling something online..

Just as indication, could somebody tell me a price range I should expect for a Delos (with caps+original box) in excellent conditions, please? And for Naglers T6, used but in excellent condition including box+cups, is £160 each including 1st class delivery a fair price?

Piero,

I have paid 195 for a Delos but this was at a time when the new prices seemed to go up and down fairly often, you also have to consider they don't come up that often.

For popular focal lengths people will try to get as much as they can, I have bought most of my S/H ones in the 175/185 price range, however I have always put an extra 5 pounds on top for postage to me out here.

When I sold my 6mm and all above I got about 170 for four of them as they all went to one member but I did get a little more for the other two, 180 I think. I think if you set out your stall for this area you will not go far wrong, do not hold your breath for what I saw the other week, 150 pounds, this is a bargain and a half that I have not seen before.

I still have the 4.5mm and 3.5mm and these are not so popular and very rare secondhand.

Hope that helps, Alan

51 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

Me personally don't rate the 14mm Delos. The 17.3 is by far the best 12 10 & 8 are all excellent.  The 8 gave me the best view of Jupiter I've ever seen.

Where do you feel the 14mm Delos looses out Dan ?

16 minutes ago, John said:

Where do you feel the 14mm Delos looses out Dan ?

in brightness john. i just didnt find it as good as the 17.3 which was a shame as i had been excited by the 17.3 10 &8 mm it just didn't sparkle like the 17.3 . 

maybe its just my eyes as i know there are alot of people that like the 14mm what i did find using a televue x2 barlow that the 14 barlows extremely well 

There was nothing wrong with my 14mm and I had it a good long time, like the 17.3mm it is not parfocal which annoys some and both have edge distortion, the latter is something that is there very slightly even in the 12mm but you really have to look for it.

12 hours ago, Piero said:

For now, an advert here (and on abs) is posted for the 8mm. I cross my fingers it works well and that I feel comfortable with it. If so, I will add a new post for the 12mm and start selling my Naglers. First time I am selling something online..

Just as indication, could somebody tell me a price range I should expect for a Delos (with caps+original box) in excellent conditions, please? And for Naglers T6, used but in excellent condition including box+cups, is £160 each including 1st class delivery a fair price?

Piero,

I think 8mm + 12mm is a good combinations for your scopes, and/or potential bigger ones.

As to price indication, I agree with Alan, 170-180£ posted seems to be fair.

Many thanks for your help, Alan and Yong! Very useful. 

That price for a Delos is fine with me, and I think ~£160 for a s/h nagler should be fine too. Anyway, I am not in a rush really and this is a long term plan. So, even if I have to wait for 6-12 months that's not a problem. 

Hope not of course! :)

• 3 weeks later...

... well.. dreaming not for long! :D 

Found two new delos eyepieces at a decent price that I could not resist! So if everything is going fine, I should receive the 8mm and the 12mm early next week. 

Seriously, birthday is coming (I have been a good boy, so a good present! :) ), and I felt I would have waited for a long while in the s/h market without necessarily saving so much. I bought the 8mm from Okularum.eu (DK) for £235 and the 12mm from TH for £257 (last year price for the deloi). 

I have decided to keep my Nagler 7mm and Vixen 5mm SLV for now which I think can be great for solar grab and go. Nagler 13mm and 3.5mm T6 will be advertised soon instead.

So, VERY VERY HAPPY, and looking forward to looking at / through them! 

Piero

• 2 weeks later...

Final update.

The Delos 8mm arrived yesterday. Really great service and package from Okularum (Denmark) and Jan (the seller) was very very helpful with the delivery. Tested it a bit today and it gives really stunning views of the Sun. Image is perfectly crisp edge to edge. 

For this target (only), eye placement is not trivial to me as for the Delos 12mm, but the views are terrific! :rolleyes: 

Archived