Light & Wide - Eyepiece Reccomendation

Paul73

Hi Folks

I am trying to find a relatively light weight eyepiece to pair with my f7.5 SW ED80 for wide field viewing. It needs to be of similar weight to my Baader Zoom (450g) so that I can swap between the two without upsetting the balance.

Any ideas?

Paul

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

Do you mean a wide true field or a wide apparent field?

I think the 24mm Panoptic is hard to beat on both counts

Sorry Shane. I would love to know the difference between the two (would like to know). 

When I look through the eyepiece, I would like to see a wide expanse of sky (preferably with stars etc).

The 24mm is a bit on the light side. However, the 27mm is smack on the money. The Zoom is 450g.

Cheaper ideas anyone?

Paul

Thanks guys. These look like good options. I have owned MaxVisions I'm the past and liked them. The 28mm was a little bendy for my liking in the f4.7 Dob (pincushion). Would this be better in the f7.5 frac? 

I'll do some reading on the Aero. The ES version is bang on the weight. So that might be the one to go for???

Paul

8 hours ago, Paul73 said:

The 28mm was a little bendy for my liking in the f4.7 Dob (pincushion). Would this be better in the f7.5 frac? 

Geometric distortions likc pincushion/barrel or AMD is in the eyepieces, and wiill not change by focal ratio of a scope.

15 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Sorry Shane. I would love to know the difference between the two (would like to know). 

When I look through the eyepiece, I would like to see a wide expanse of sky (preferably with stars etc).

The 24mm is a bit on the light side. However, the 27mm is smack on the money. The Zoom is 450g.

Cheaper ideas anyone?

Paul

True field is the actual amount of sky you can squeeze into the eyepiece / scope combo. Apparent field is the 'width' of the eyepiece - e.g. 50 degrees for plossls.

E.g. a 12mm Nagler has an apparent field of 82 degrees which is much more than a 20mm plossl at 50 degrees. However, the plossl has a slightly wider true field in the same scope. 

Hi Paul.

I use a Skywatcher SWA 22mm eyepiece at 70 degree fov. Weight 590gm. The viewing quality is excellent and it compared as well as a nagler when a straight comparison was done. 

I have heard the 32mm version is not anything like as good though and cannot comment on the smaller sizes either

hth

steve

16 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Weight wiae, 27Pan is excellent comparable to the Zoom, Optcally excellent too by the reviews I've come across. There'll be though, noticeable more pincushion in 27 Pan in 28MV, I'm afraid.

Archived