Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar alignment

if you have a view to the east (or west) AND south you can drift align.

there are plenty of tutorial and ways of doing this. I just linked one...

I had the same issue where I only had a south view so I got creative ... Went to a place not to far where I had a view to polaris to set the altitude ajustment and went back to my observing place and, with a view to the south, was able to drit align for the azimuth :)

It depends upon your equipment. Eq6 etc can do 2 or three star alignments and report errors I think. A process of iterations. Eq8 does the same on the handset. 10 micron something similar. If you are using eqmod on a computer controlled scope again something similar.

Derek

For visual a compass and spirit level are sufficient to point the mount north and level the tripod before setting altitude against the scale

For imaging drift alignment of any of the many varieties

Those with a goto mount also have a polar alignment function that uses a variant of star alignment

Polar alignment without seeing Polaris is essential for anyone in the southern hemisphere

If you are getting an AVX mount with the C8 you can do an ASPA align - you don't need to be able to see Polaris. 

I be getting avx celestron 800 edge hd telescope so do you mean that I can just use star alignment

Peter

I need to ask a question on this if I may: on page 35 (Polar Alignment)sections 6 and 8 of the Synscan user guide it refers to altering the Altitude and Azimuth controls. Does this mean the Altitude and Azimuth bolts on the mount or buttons on the handset?

I need to ask a question on this if I may: on page 35 (Polar Alignment)sections 6 and 8 of the Synscan user guide it refers to altering the Altitude and Azimuth controls. Does this mean the Altitude and Azimuth bolts on the mount or buttons on the handset?

This refers to the bolts on the mount, assuming this is for an equatorial mount. It is the mount that is polar aligned and not the telescope. 

Archived