NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Disaster Night

almcl

What a night!

Cold, crisp, clear.  A less-than-1st-quarter moon setting in the south west.  Gemini well positioned for the intended astrophoto target (the Eskimo neb) and we star hopped to the area easily, connected the camera, took a quick image and there was the neb almost mid frame.  A quick Bahtinov focus check, confim PA is still good and then fire up the guiding cam and PHD2.

Try for a three minute sub. 

Oh no! The handset led cuts out, not even tracking now, never mind guiding! 

When power is restablished the handset intermittently sticks in RA mode leading to 'keyhole' stars.

post-38153-0-32607900-1452963498_thumb.j

Then the USB cable to the camera (which I must admit has been cruelly abused over the last year) also cuts out, so downloading the subs and using the tablet's large screen to check focus and composition is out.

Such a pity, it could have been a wonderful evening.

I feel your pain almcl.

Setting up last night to image the same target and suddenly the PC starts crashing just as I'm getting PHD calibrated.

This leaves the scope pointing at nothing as eqmod has crashed.

Manual return scope to park re set everything and now it's cloudy. Toys thrown out of pram and off to bed only to read everyone had a great night with clear skies and good seeing. :(

Gareth.

Thanks for the sympathetic and the humorous replies - worse was to follow.  In my attempts to check out the hand controller, I managed to break one of the chip connecting cables and this one has proved beyond my soldering abilities. 

An upgraded handset is on its way.

To judge from the forecast, won't be missing much before it arrives.

Been trying to get my gear working ready for the forecast clear skies tonight but really struggling.  First off nothing working from the obsy laptop so I tried rebooting the laptop - that sometimes works.  But not this time :(  Well, actually just one thing - Atik 460EX camera from Artemis Capture but not the filter wheel.  CdC runs but won't connect to mount.  PHD also won't connect to mount or guide camera.  Remote focusser connects but no focus motor control.  The USB devices seem to be connecting.  Anyway, I'll be going through all the usual tests and checks particularly USB and com ports etc. plus power lines and suchlike.

Where I work we sometimes get weird laptop connectivity problems.

When asked when they last restarted the machine the laptop owner's answer, quite often given, is.... 'I haven't' and they mean since they can remember!

A reboot usually fixes their problem.

It always amazes me that people don't reboot every day or however often they use a laptop.

Archived